Topic: Farm installation?

Basic question:

Can punbb be installed as a "farm" configuration, ie one installation for multiple domains? Meaning each domain appears to have its own installation, but in fact is sharing one common installation...

Thanks,

- Henrik

Re: Farm installation?

You mean like this?
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8001

No, this time I'm thinking about a separate database or tableset for each forum, a common installed code base for punbb, and separate configurations for each domain.

(My my my how time flies, that last post was 2 years ago!!)

- Henrik

Aha
Yeah, that would be possible, it's similar to the way MyPunBB, PunBB-Hosting, etc work. It would require modifications to the code, of course.

Fair enough. And in your judgement, would that be days weeks or months of effort? Would it be something possibly of interest here, meaning could I get guidance on how to make the modifications generic enough to integrate in the core, or as an add-on?

- Henrik

BTW a quick peek suggests PunBB supports SQLite. True? Then it might be fairly easy to set up a database for each domain...(ie: if it ain't there, make one).

The other issue would be relative addressing. So if there was a punbbstart.php in each domain's start directory that said

include_once("punbb's main driver script".php)

Would everything work? Or could be made to work? With reference to config files in the local dir...

- Henrik

You'll certainly have to make it as a modification wink
PunBB does indeed support SQLite, but it wouldn't be difficult to write a script to set one up for any DB.
Easiest way would be to edit include/common.php so that the db_prefix (and/or database) changes depending on the domain you visit. You'll also need to edit include/cache.php (so each forum gets its own cache files), profile.php (avatars) and perhaps more (ie: if you want to allow different templates for each forum, you'll need to edit header.php)