Topic: clear moderators column

Is it possible to clear the moderators column on the right? It takes a lot af space, and I don't need it. Thanks!

Re: clear moderators column

Sure. You have to edit index.php though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by lukepuuk 2004-01-09 13:03)

That's going to be hard for me, but I'll try. Another question: is it possible to adjust the width of the author column? I think same answer here, not? Thanks for the quick reply!

4 (edited by ps21 2004-01-09 13:22)

lukepuuk wrote:

That's going to be hard for me, but I'll try. Another question: is it possible to adjust the width of the author column? I think same answer here, not? Thanks for the quick reply!

To remove the mods column just open index.php in a text editor with line numbers and remove line 121 (I am assuming v.1.1 of PunBB). The line to be removed reads

<td class="puncent"><?php echo $moderators ?></td>

You can alter the width of the authors column by editing viewforum.php. It is at line 110 and reads

<td class="punhead" style="width: 14%; white-space: nowrap"><?php echo $lang_common['Author'] ?></td>

Just alter the width percentage. This will however result in the topics column becoming wider or narrower as the case may be to compensate.

If you get stuck post back and I will email you altered copies of the two files.

5 (edited by lukepuuk 2004-01-09 13:42)

If I only remove what you said, I get this:
http://www.raggers.net/upload/files/Picture%201.jpg

So I deleted also line 49. I hope I don't get into trouble now. I only see a double line on the right.

Another question: I've set a fixed width of 750px for my forum. How do I get it centered?

TABLE.punmain {
    border: none;
    width: 750px;
    background-color: #606060
}
TABLE.punplain {
    width: 100%
}
TABLE.punspacer {
    width: 750px

Nope, you did right.

Regarding centering, see ps21's post here: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3100

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

7 (edited by ps21 2004-01-09 14:55)

My apologies, I forgot all about the header colum.  Now at least you know that editing the code is not as difficult as you thought smile

Incidentally, I have been contemplating suggesting removal of the moderators column for ages. I am relieved I am not alone in thinking it was taking up screen real estate  without providing any real benefit.

ps21 wrote:

Incidentally, I have been contemplating suggesting removal of the moderators column for ages. I am relieved I am not alone in thinking it was taking up screen real estate  without providing any real benefit.

True! I've had that thought too when looking at this forum smile Instead of the list on the index page, there could be a "List moderators"-link in the forum instead.

Although, it do looks kinda silly if you remove it completely and have the brower-window wide...

I agree. The fact that I have yet to assign any moderators here at punbb.org makes the column useless (to say the least).

Do you mean that the column should be removed completely or do you mean that it should be removed only if there are no moderators assigned?

10 (edited by lukepuuk 2004-01-09 15:39)

"it should be removed only if there are no moderators assigned"

That's a nice solution. Or you should have the option to show or not show the moderators. But that would be hard to implement, I think.

11 (edited by chacmool 2004-01-09 16:06)

I think it might be better to remove them if the forum is "inside" the page design (with menus and such things). It's not that often I want to find out who's "moderating" the forum (you often know it anyway wink)

An option could work, then it's up to the owner to decide. Maybe with a "Show moderator list" over or under the "Jump to"-list when it's not shown on the fronpage?

12 (edited by ps21 2004-01-09 16:53)

I mean remove it completely. I really don't want or need to know who is moderating a forum. If this is a feature some people must have then you could always put "Moderated by xxxx" under the name of the forum. If there is a moderator this will increase the height of the row, if no moderator, no increase in height and no wasted space. It also has the knock on effect of making the topic description wider so less wrapping with long descriptions.

I agree with ps21.

14 (edited by chacmool 2004-01-09 16:41)

lukepuuk:
There's one more thing to do on the index page, you see the thick black line? You must change the "colspan" value for the Category-field:

<td class="puncon3" colspan="6"><?php echo pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_forum['cat_name']) ?></td>

To:
<td class="puncon3" colspan="5"><?php echo pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_forum['cat_name']) ?></td>

chacmool wrote:

lukepuuk:
There's one more thing to do on the index page, you see the thick black line? You must change the "colspan" value for the Category-field:

<td class="puncon3" colspan="6"><?php echo pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_forum['cat_name']) ?></td>

To:
<td class="puncon3" colspan="5"><?php echo pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_forum['cat_name']) ?></td>

Something else I forgot then.

chacmool wrote:

lukepuuk:

To:

Thanks, now it looks perfect!

http://www.raggers.net/ego/forum

lukepuuk wrote:

Not quite, you have fallen victim of the IE5 bug. Your forum is aligning left in IE5. See the post Kennel referred you to and my solution.

18 (edited by chacmool 2004-01-09 17:04)

ps21 wrote:
lukepuuk wrote:

Not quite, you have fallen victim of the IE5 bug. Your forum is aligning left in IE5. See the post Kennel referred you to and my solution.

Hmm, what's happened with that url?

Yeah, it's a bug. I know of it already :)

20 (edited by lukepuuk 2004-01-09 17:12)

You mean IE5 on Windows I guess? On my Mac it works in all browsers. I think most people on Windows have IE6. Maybe I change it later.