Topic: Multilingual CMS?

Hi all ...

I have a requirement to re-build a static, htm based website into a database driven, php/mysql website which is multilingual. {this may potentially include PunBB as a support forum}

... in 8 {!!!!} languages no less ...

The ideal solution would be to have several language 'packs' installed, and only post once/display many, so-to-speak.

The website could be theoretically set up to display based on the users language from the browser, or provide flag images for users to click to render the website in that language.  I suppose we could set up sub-level domains if necessary for each language as well.

Does anyone have any experience in this, and if so, have any ideas/suggestions on the best way to deal with this?

Essentially, I'm searching for a *true* multilingual based CMS/mini-weblog system that will allow me to display content to users in their own language, without my having to re-invent the wheel.

Any help would be tremendously welcomed.

TIA

Re: Multilingual CMS?

Raybo wrote:

Essentially, I'm searching for a *true* multilingual based CMS/mini-weblog system that will allow me to display content to users in their own language, without my having to re-invent the wheel.

Have a look at the Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack for Textpattern.

Hi hcgtv, thanks for replying ...

Does TextPattern offer multiple, or customizable form fields for entries? {ie: over your basic, title, blurb, body, more, etc}

I'll need to add many custom fields over and above your standard fare.

I downloaded TextPattern, but I haven't had the opportunity to install it yet.

Any other goodies/info about Textpattern would be tremendously welcomed.

TIA

Raybo wrote:

Does TextPattern offer multiple, or customizable form fields for entries? {ie: over your basic, title, blurb, body, more, etc}

Out of the box, Textpattern has 10 custom fields you can use per article. I believe there is a plugin to give you more than 10, if you need them.

As for Textpattern, I find it to be in the same lean and mean spirit as PunBB. I'm running 7 Textpattern driven sites on my VPS (384mb) and they all respond very nicely, even when the traffic spikes. The templating system is very natural to understand if you're familiar with XHTML and there are plenty of template tags to do just about anything.

Textpattern is as lean a solution as static html files, and it renders almost as fast.

And there's several caching plugin if one need to handle an extra spike in traffic.