Topic: Copyright question not covered in the FAQ

Ok, I've looked around and from what I can see selling a Extension to Punbb would go against the GPL. Is this true? Also, if I created a few extensions (what I'm thinking of doing would be more of an addon than an extension of a current feature), and hosted the project, could I charge for the service?

Thanks, guys.

Re: Copyright question not covered in the FAQ

Ok, I've looked around and from what I can see selling a Extension to Punbb would go against the GPL. Is this true?

Yes and no. You can sell your code for whatever price you feel like: however, you must distribute the source for it and anyone you distribute it to can redistribute it to anyone else for free. In general, it's not a good idea to try and sell GPL-ed code for that reason.

Also, if I created a few extensions (what I'm thinking of doing would be more of an addon than an extension of a current feature), and hosted the project, could I charge for the service?

For what service? You could certainly charge for helping people

If you want money for GPL code, the ransoms are quite a good answer (if you want something back for your time, not make a living out of it).

Basically you get some reputation, write the extension, and describe it in details. Then, you set what you think is a fair price for it. Everyone can contribute, whatever money they feel (basically they are paying for using the extension, so it depends how much it's worth for them). You add up all the money, when the ransom is met, you release the extension. If the ransom is not met, you give everyone back their money.

Several (about 20~30 I think) plugins for Textpattern where contributed in that way, it work nicely for everyone.

bmpwe wrote:

Also, if I created a few extensions (what I'm thinking of doing would be more of an addon than an extension of a current feature), and hosted the project, could I charge for the service?

If I understand you correctly, yes. The terms and conditions of the GPL only apply when and if you decide to release your derived works so that people can download them. The GPL doesn't prevent you from downloading PunBB, modifying it to your needs and using it to host a commercial service of some kind.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Jérémie wrote:

If you want money for GPL code, the ransoms are quite a good answer (if you want something back for your time, not make a living out of it).

I agree, that's the best way to go about doing it. You get your money, the community gets a new extension, we're all happy smile

Rickard wrote:
bmpwe wrote:

If I understand you correctly, yes. The terms and conditions of the GPL only apply when and if you decide to release your derived works so that people can download them. The GPL doesn't prevent you from downloading PunBB, modifying it to your needs and using it to host a commercial service of some kind.

Thanks Rickard (and others). Keep up the good work... can't wait for 1.3!!