101 (edited by Jérémie 2007-02-10 18:49)

Re: Feedback wanted on URL rewriting thing

As far as I know, nope (empty string required after a /foler/ URI type, well some of them). I'll re-test.

Yup, confirmed.

Rev 874, folder based URL scheme :

/admin/, /users/ or /user/2/ works fine, but /search/ or /admin/reports/ return a "No input file specified." error.

With Trac, I would be able to give you the exact list of what scheme and URI work, and don't work wink

Well, I've reopened the ticket Connor had for making the rewrite rules work wink
And how does having Trac ticket creation abilities versus not having Trac ticket creation abilities prevent you from figuring out what's working and what's not? wink

Past TXP's years neutral

Reporting bugs or missing key features, and 2 years later having the dev saying something like "oh, that's right... strange...it hasn't been reported before".

Basically, being sure the tests and debug have a purpose, that they are needed and read wink

I don't think you can argue that we don't read the forums and notice when things don't work tongue

Works fine for me with Apache 1.3.36 are you sure you updated the .htaccess file from the extras folder?

Works fine for me with Apache 1.3.37

108 (edited by Jérémie 2007-02-11 23:50)

You can see it for yourself at http://pun13.dorem.info

I'll test a couple of things, to see if it makes a difference.

Edit : how's your Apache1 configured? Try with PHP as a CGI under suexec (which is a very common shared host configuration), it seems related to the issue at hande.

I'll keep investigating.

I think it must be something specific to your setup.

Well, this setup can work Mediawiki, Textpattern, and countless other software with rewrite_rule without any issues wink

It seems CGI/suexec related. After some Google digging, I tried disabling mod_gzip, and it seems to work (in the folder based scheme, the file based seems to have some other issues).

I just set Apache up to run PHP as CGI: no issues with any setup

Jérémie wrote:

Well, this setup can work Mediawiki, Textpattern, and countless other software with rewrite_rule without any issues wink

Compare their rewrite rules to PunBB's wink

113 (edited by Jérémie 2007-02-12 00:16)

It may be suexec. I found a comment on the PHP manual, that said suexec change every header received by Apache (or PHP?) to be 200, and that screw something somewhere. I'm a little (that's an euphemism) out of my league here.

Edit: it's here I think.

114 (edited by Jérémie 2007-02-12 00:18)

Yup, disabling mod_gzip in Apache seems (some things don't work, but without errors; but I'm guessing it's because it's not implemented yet in svn.. like the search rebuild index, the show all your post, etc.) to fix the folder based scheme.

Edit : or not. These features might be here in the svn code, but the rewrite rule remove part of it. Grmbl.

Odd, Apache/1.3.36 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a working fine for me

That's what I found on the PHP manual comment:

If you are using php per cgi and have additionally mod_gzip enabled you have to disable mod_gzip for the php cgi binary to use --enable-cgi-redirect. mod_gzip sets the REDIRECT_STATUS always to 200 which makes it impossible for the php binary to know when it was called directly or when it was called by a redirect.

I'm not sure what that would have to do with mod_rewrite

118 (edited by Jérémie 2007-02-12 00:40)

I doubt mod_gzip have two distinct impacts on that setup, and I confirmed disabling it make some things works (that didn't worked before).

Edit: or not quite. As it happened to others (via Google), it remove some things beyond the first level. /search/ works now, but /search/recent/ display /search/ without visible error.

I think I'll open a ticket, see if my host support can figure this out.

Maybe I brought this up before, but could this be the issue you're having?
http://help.ovh.com/HtaccessModRewrite

Nope, I test with and without this every time.

And this requirement has been droped from the French guide (more up to date), and tested successfully (just in case the guide is wrong).

Rickard wrote:

We have this already in subversion. It still needs a bit of polish, but it's there.

What do you have in Subversion?

/posts/id

or

/posts/post_name_or_slug

?

asbjornu wrote:
Rickard wrote:

We have this already in subversion. It still needs a bit of polish, but it's there.

What do you have in Subversion?

/posts/id

or

/posts/post_name_or_slug

?

There are 3 rewrite schemes sitting in SVN so far: check them out wink

123 (edited by Jérémie 2007-02-13 03:01)

Stupid question : which precise rewrite rule handle the /search/ request (the basic search access)?

RewriteRule ^(help|login|search|moderate|register)(\.html?|/)?$ $1.php [L,NC]

Of course... I was browsing through the search.php ones... I need a new brain.

Thanks.