Topic: Un-registering

G'day, folks smile

My first post smile

I guess this could be called a bug; I certainly find it 'bug-gy'.

Is it possible for a user to remove their own entry from the User list? One can register, but seemingly not un-register. One can delete one's post, but one cannot disappear from the User list

I've noticed this inability on other installations, such as pHpBB, and vBulletin, so perhaps it's a generic deficiency. Is a Bulletin Board so different from, say, a Yahoogroup, where one can delete one's posts and uploads, unsubscribe, and hence 'disappear' completely?

All the best.

Eric

Re: Un-registering

uhhhh, what?

You cannot delete your own account, no. Only an administrator can.

As it should remain so. Giving users the ability to delete their own accounts is not in the best interest at heart.

~thegleek

elbekko wrote:

You cannot delete your own account, no. Only an administrator can.

So if an administrator refuses a polite request to delete an account, even after the account-holder has deleted all their posts, is that administrator being vindictive? I guess a kinder explanation would be that the administrator was ignorant of their ability to delete.

In the face of continued refusal to delete, is anybody aware of legal action being taken?

I'm deadly serious about this, as there is high potential for defamation to occur if the account remains. The country concerned is Western Australia, and the forum in question is administered from within the same territory.

Eric

One problem with deleting accounts is that the info from the users table is used when displaying that users posts.

Presumably one could write a mod to give users the option of being displayed in the user list. Or one to disable the user list entirely.

If the main worry is the account existsing, the I'm sure it's possible to write a mod to delete all post made by the user, and all topics started by the user, and then delete the user from the user table. Keep in mind this could be used to delete replies to the users posts.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

Not a bug, moved to feature requests.

This is the entry I want removed. I've here "wrapped" it to avoid distortion. The "un-wrapped" image is here

http://www.kurrattan.net/exhibits/banned6.jpg

- which I consider to be highly defamatory, as I have deleted all my posts from that forum, there is no explanation for the banning, and there is no direct link back to me to ask for an explanation.

The entry is accessible to anybody with the stamina - or the "tip-off" - to search.

Eric

So you just want the usertitle and post count to be removed?

de·fam·a·to·ry      /d??fæm??t?ri, -?to?ri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-fam-uh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective
containing defamation; injurious to reputation; slanderous or libelous: She claimed that the article in the magazine was defamatory.

A. This is not the place to discuss a ban made on another forum. You have to talk to that forum's administrator(s).
B. My personal opinion is that banning someone is not defamatory simply because all it does is state that the person is no longer welcome on that particular forum. However, this isn't the place to get into a discussion of anti-defamation laws in various countries either wink

elbekko wrote:

I want the entire entry removed - usertitle, user "status" ('banned'), post-count, and date-of-registering.

I do not wish to have to explain why I was banned. Do you think I'd be believed if I said the banning was a spiteful reaction to my deleting all my posts?

Eric

EricCarwardine wrote:
elbekko wrote:

I want the entire entry removed - usertitle, user "status" ('banned'), post-count, and date-of-registering.

I do not wish to have to explain why I was banned. Do you think I'd be believed if I said the banning was a spiteful reaction to my deleting all my posts?

Eric

We are not discussing it here. Smartys has already explained that. You can talk to the administrators of the forum in question.