Topic: Forum install problem

I know you guys get this often: "I'm having problems installing PunBB."  I don't know how I'm getting this error message, but I am.

An error occured on line 430 in file /nfs/cust/3/99/06/760993/web/Forum/punbb-1.2.14/upload/install.php.

PunBB reported: Unable to create table 7th-Forumsbans. Please check your settings and try again.

Database reported: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-Forumsbans ( id INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, (Errno: 1064)

Please help.

Re: Forum install problem

Don't use - in a db_prefix, use letters, numbers, or underscores

3 (edited by cpt. planet 2007-02-16 01:00)

Oh that's why. lol 

Ok, here is a noob question, where is the config at?  I can't seem to locate it in the files I downloaded from you guys.

Ok after doing the config thing I get this: "The file 'config.php' doesn't exist or is corrupt. Please run install.php to install PunBB first."

Did you take the generated data, create a new file called config.php, paste the data in, and upload it?

I just open up the example_config.php and cut and paste the new info and rename.

Did you upload it to the forum root?

All I know is that I use the files you gave me in the download, renamed (example_config) and pasted the code using Note Pad (like you do .cfg file for video games) into the new renamed file called "config" that is found in extras folder.  Then I uploaded the files to my server via Frontpage 2003.  Then I click the button titled "go to forum index" just to get the erro message of "The file 'config.php' doesn't exist or is corrupt. Please run install.php to install PunBB first."

Ok I got it working.  I don't know if you guys forgot to write this into the instructions or you just assume everyone is a website designer with 120 credit hours of school and 3 years experience.  You have to load the config.php into "upload" section.

cpt. planet wrote:

Ok I got it working.  I don't know if you guys forgot to write this into the instructions or you just assume everyone is a website designer with 120 credit hours of school and 3 years experience.  You have to load the config.php into "upload" section.

install.php wrote:

To finalize the installation all you need to do is to <strong>copy and paste the text in the text box below into a file called config.php and then upload this file to the root directory of your PunBB installation</strong>.

The upload folder is simply meant to show people what files are meant to be uploaded as part of the forum: you can put the files in any folder you wish, no matter the name.

P.S. No need to be sarcastic wink