Topic: asp.net version

Hey,

I really like the look and and unbloated feature set of this board... but I'm not a php guy. It reminds me of an ISAPI forum I wrote for windows many years ago but stopped updating. Pun is much nicer however. Anyway, would the devs, specifically Rickard, object if I starting an open source ASP.net copy of punbb? I don't know how far I would actually go with it, but I think it would be fun to do as a hobby project - I had fun with my original forum and could use some more practice with my asp.net coding.

Re: asp.net version

i really dont think that he would care so long as you kept the copyright and credits intack....

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

So you want to do for PunBB what YaBB SE (PHP) did for YaBB (Perl)?

Christopher Clarke

Blog / dA / MySpace / Facebook / GAIA

Twisted Legacy  - great community

you can run punbb (as native php) in asp.net using the language extension mentioned here

Gamelab: I don't know the history of those two, so I can't say. I will say I'm not looking to do a code port. What I want is the look and feature set in an asp.net forum - and to have some fun in working on it.

MadHatter: That's cool, but it would still leave me with a php codebase, which I know nothing about and can't modify.

No reply yet... did I post in the wrong forum or do I assume the devs are just indifferent?

There is an asp written version of a forum that looks a lot like PunBB that we came across a little while back, I just can't remember the url.

You probably mean http://dnfbb.sourceforge.net/

There are a few things I don't like about it however: .net 1.1 instead of 2.0, tied to firebird sql rather than native access and mssql, tons of <table> tags and non css design.

Yeah, that's it, dnfbb.

I mean it looked the same but it isn't very fast loading.

most .net forums you're going to have to pay for.  any free ones are going to be written by some kid while he's reading one of those C# in 30 days books, and its going to suck.

community server has forums, but you have to buy the software and at 300 bucks and they require you to keep their "Community Server" logo, and run their ads, thats a bit excessive ($450 w/ out those things is still a pretty sour price tag).

11 (edited by rumstil 2007-03-29 22:44)

Well, since nobody seems to object, I started down the path to making this a reality. I don't have much yet except for a schema, a rough framework, some css, and a few screens with with lots of broken functionality.

I expect it will take me about 3 months before I have a version that people can actually use. Then us asp.net users will be able to enjoy some punbb like lubbings too.

I'll be updating my progress here:
http://www.brazenbits.net/forum/index.aspx

I've imported a snitz forum I run so that I would have some data to develop/test with. Feel free to mess around (without being obnoxious).

Why don't you just use PunBB's XHTML and CSS? Would make this alot easier and prettier tongue

It seems to run smoothly tho, which I'm not used to with ASP apps.

I considered that and initially I copied the style. The big advantage would be that people could just use punbb styles from punres.org.

However, I don't know if I want to be mirroring the html tags, and css classes. Because I fear I would spend too much time chasing down changes and debugging inconsistency from different styles people had downloaded. So I think a CSS converter would be less effort.

Also, I think punbb overuses DIV tags a little too much. For example, on the topic view page, each message is a set of divs. I'm not a CSS expert, so I had a heck of a time figuring out the little trick where you set the background on the outer div to match the left side in case it is longer, and then you set a colored margin on the right side to match the color of the left side in case the left is longer. To me that is just crazy. I know people hate tables but when you get into that kind of hackery just to simulate a table, you're not doing anyone a favor. At least that is my opinion.

elbekko wrote:

It seems to run smoothly tho, which I'm not used to with ASP apps.

because he's likely not using asp.net's bloated infrastructure to do this (at least I'd hope not).

a .net version of punbb seems perverse to me though.

Aye, I don't intend to use the bloated stuff like gridviews, profiles, themes, etc..