Topic: Is it just me, or does punbb miss daylight saving time support?

My post are always one hour early, and I can't really figure out why...

Either my computer forgot to alter the time (I don't think so though, it's set-up as GMT and converts to EST), or punbb doesn't have support for daylight savings...

ATM in -5 GMT (EST) it's really -4 GMT... I think... it only happend twice a year, so I don't know the details... tongue

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

Re: Is it just me, or does punbb miss daylight saving time support?

1.3 has a DST function implemented.

lol, until then I just hardcoded the default timezone in registrations, and switch my server timezone to -1... it does the job big_smile

Jansson wrote:

It has? big_smile

I don't believe we've added it yet, but it'll be in there.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

It has a pretty checkbox which at present does nothing.

Rickard wrote:
Jansson wrote:

It has? big_smile

I don't believe we've added it yet, but it'll be in there.

Oh well... Not my fault your so slow tongue

There's gonah be some additional problems with timezoning too...

The states just changed the date they go back/forward, and I ~think~ North america followed the states too. Dono about Europ or asia or what not though...

deadram wrote:

The states just changed the date they go back/forward, and I ~think~ North america followed the states too. Dono about Europ or asia or what not though...

Erm, what now?

elbekko wrote:
deadram wrote:

Erm, what now?

...we did?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

not all US states obvserve dst either. 

I think we're slated for that right after we convert to the metric system pogenwurst.

pogenwurst wrote:

I think we're slated for that right after we convert to the metric system pogenwurst.

That sounds about right. big_smile

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Maybe it was just NY or something then, but I remeber the last one was all messed up... tongue

No problem here. The clocks change on the last Sunday of March and the last Sunday of October. Its always been that way as far as I can remember but I think there used to be some funny rules if Easter intervened. I think the rest of the EU changes at the same time nowadays.

Either way I think it's only by a week that the (North east?) of north america changes ahead of time... so if I'm right, it's less of a problem then being off for 6 months of the year ;p

Err, every part of the US changes at the same time as every other part of the US tongue

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html wrote:

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday of March and end the first Sunday of November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to revert the Daylight Saving Time back to the 2005 time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_s … ted_States

There, two sources says I'm not going crazy!

Yes, next daylight savings time the WHOLE US will change at a different time than, say, Europe.
So?
That's why any 1.3 DST functionality will take into account the fact that each user needs to control if they observe DST and when tongue

I was just worried about being crazy... and We're not... really... we just like this body o.0

I dislike DST, wish they would do away with it.

Actually here we don't call it DST, its BST (British Summer Time) which, given our climate, is a bit of a sick joke.

DST is lame, is there going to be a patch for 1.2.x system released soon?

~thegleek

There's no patch necessary: DST is something that needs to be handled by the users/forum admins

Well, an auto-DST would be quite nice. If one is registered and contributing to, say, 10 forums, having to change a setting twice a year on 10 websites in sequence is a pain in the lower parts.

On the other hand, the worldwide DST system is a huge mess. Without a clean GPL library, maybe more fitted for an extension at first?

Smartys wrote:

DST is something that needs to be handled by the users

Changing my timezone feels odd though. *shrug*

Jérémie wrote:

Well, an auto-DST would be quite nice. If one is registered and contributing to, say, 10 forums, having to change a setting twice a year on 10 websites in sequence is a pain in the lower parts.

On the other hand, the worldwide DST system is a huge mess. Without a clean GPL library, maybe more fitted for an extension at first?

Even with a GPL library, calculating it accurately for every user on every server is a mess: some people in certain timezones don't observe DST while others do, for example.

guardian34 wrote:
Smartys wrote:

DST is something that needs to be handled by the users

Changing my timezone feels odd though. *shrug*

Yes, and in 1.3 you're checking a box to toggle it on/off. I do that on my digitial clock at home (the button thing): it seems fine to me tongue