Topic: New users advice

I would really like some advice on the day to day running of my forum now that I have succesfully installed and configured it using punbb

Am I right in thinking that there is no way of a moderator or an administrator recieving notification of a new post on the forum unless I add install a mod such as http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=512

I also noticed that this mod has only been downloaded 363 is there anyone who can advise if this works ok or is buggy etc and what happen when I need to upgrade my version of punbb will this mod still work.

I must be missing something here it seems mad that there is no automatic notification of new posts on the forum by email.

I am not expecting a massive number of posts to my forum and there will only be two moderators myself and one other.

I can understand if you are running a forum with a massive number of posts per day and then loads of emails a day being sent to the moderators becomes a problem but how many forums when they initially start recieve this kind of takeup.

As I see it at the moment in order to be notified of a new post I either check my forum every 15 min or check the RSS feed of my forum every 15 min.

Am I missing something here or is there an punbb out of box solution to this?

Re: New users advice

Am I right in thinking that there is no way of a moderator or an administrator recieving notification of a new post on the forum unless I add install a mod such as http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=512

Yes

I also noticed that this mod has only been downloaded 363

I'd say that's not an insignificant number wink

is there anyone who can advise if this works ok or is buggy etc

A better place to ask would be in that topic wink

and what happen when I need to upgrade my version of punbb will this mod still work.

Assuming you use something like the patch files or the hdiff. If you just replace files and you replace a file you modified, you'll overwrite your changes

I must be missing something here it seems mad that there is no automatic notification of new posts on the forum by email.

I am not expecting a massive number of posts to my forum and there will only be two moderators myself and one other.

I can understand if you are running a forum with a massive number of posts per day and then loads of emails a day being sent to the moderators becomes a problem but how many forums when they initially start recieve this kind of takeup.

As I see it at the moment in order to be notified of a new post I either check my forum every 15 min or check the RSS feed of my forum every 15 min.

Am I missing something here or is there an punbb out of box solution to this?

Decent feed readers should have the option to automatically query the site for you and pop up a notification if there's something new
As for emailing, as you said, it's a problem once the forum gets more than a few posts per day. Especially if a spammer realizes that the admins/moderators get the emails and decides to spam hundreds of posts. It's just a feature that only a small subset of users would be able to take advantage of.