Re: Lets Start an SEO and Web Development Forum.....

Connorhd wrote:

out of interest, who uses meta description?

Everyone that matters - Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

Connorhd wrote:

its better with noindex, follow cos then links are followed, those pages you said would not be indexed as they also contain the noindex tag

OK, I didn't spot the noindex on the pages I gave as example.  Still, my argument stands - 'rel="nofollow"' is a better solution and nofollow is better because the bot doesn't need to visit 'forgotten password', etc. to discover it shouldn't index it!

"The invisible and the non-existent look very similar."

David_1cog: I'm not sure which method I prefer. rel="follow/nofollow" is a more SE efficient solution, but it adds a bit more markup. Hmm.

"Clean URLs" are already in Subversion for PunBB 1.3, so you don't have to worry about that smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi Rickard,

There's only 'rel="nofollow"' to attach to <a href="...">...<a/> - there isn't 'rel="follow"' AFAIK.  For just a few bytes code added to markup you stop spiders indexing unnecessary content (SEO benefit).  Meta tags don't allow quite the same level of control.  You could use the '110%' method and use both, although unnecessary IMHO.

I've been watching SVN - looking forward to 1.3 smile.

P.S.  Big fan of the PunBB coding / usability / feature set. big_smile

I've added rel="nofollow" to the relevant links, but I'm not sure about meta description. I understand that it can be important for SEO, but I'm not sure setting the description to the page title makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure about reversing the order or board title and forum/topic title. In my opinion, it's better to have the board title first. I'm thinking primarily of bookmarks.

Edit: Come to think of it, why add rel="nofollow" to the "Newest registered user" link?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I'm not sure about reversing the order or board title and forum/topic title. In my opinion, it's better to have the board title first. I'm thinking primarily of bookmarks.

I like the board title / topic way, it's what most web applications use.

Well, better to have something in meta description than nothing IMHO.  Also, this isn't just about SEO - the meta description is often used by SEs for the description in search results.

Board title order: fair point re. bookmarking.  I guess this comes down to personal preference, and I'd rather keep search engines happy than people who bookmark individual threads.

If "Newest registered user" is allowed for indexing then the SEs will index each user profile and then not be able to access the page (by following links from the website) once it's no longer the newest.  Depending on the SE, the 'orphan' page would eventually be dropped from the index.  Besides, I can't think of any benefit in having user profiles indexed, and indexing pages without keyword-rich content is a no-no for SEO.

Perhaps this is hokey, but what about adding a "tags" element to a post like del.icio.us? Then, use the tags for the keywords field. It wouldn't add much bloat really, and you could let admins turn it on/off. Just an idea.

David_1cog: You're probably right.

mysteriouz: It makes sense for e.g. a blog, but I'm not sure how frequently a tags/keywords field would be filled out by your average forum poster.

I'm going to use the board Topic in my Title & Description tags, probably in my Keywords too, along with another 1/2dz other relevant & global 'keyphrases'.
I'm going to stay with the Board Title, then - Topic also, because its 'Poker Forum' & thats going to be a tough nut to crack, I need it up front & center!

SEO is a lot like Poker, except there isn't any calling, its all about re-raisin' lol
I start out w/lean, mean markup, some good content & most of the basic whitehat methods, then raise as needed. http://zeusco.com/stuff/pun_been.gif

I'm planning on upgrading to v1.3 tomorrow & try to finish this one.

cheers

GregK wrote:

SEO is a lot like Poker, except there isn't any calling, its all about re-raisin' lol
I start out w/lean, mean markup, some good content & most of the basic whitehat methods, then raise as needed. http://zeusco.com/stuff/pun_been.gif

Funny you should say that. I just came home from a night of poker over at a friends place. I came second after going all in with KK agains 33. He flopped a third 3! Argh smile

sounds good guys. PunBBSEO here we come http://www.djpassion.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

lol i see someone already got this yonks ago

Registrar: NAMESDIRECT
Domain Name: PUNBBSEO.COM
Created on: 18-FEB-06
Expires on: 18-FEB-08
Last Updated on: 29-JAN-07

cool

38 (edited by Jérémie 2007-03-16 15:03)

David_1cog wrote:

OK, I didn't spot the noindex on the pages I gave as example.  Still, my argument stands - 'rel="nofollow"' is a better solution and nofollow is better because the bot doesn't need to visit 'forgotten password', etc. to discover it shouldn't index it!

Doesn't work like that. Googlebot for example get and store everything. Then, somewhere during indexing or during the filtering for public access (most likely at the end, so that Google has it internally) the "nofollow" content is tagged.

The name of the attribute is a misnomer. It's not "do not follow", it's "do not use as a weight or backlink when you decide the ranking of the linked page".

Check Google's docs on that.

As for rel=nofollow vs robot meta tag, I don't have right now a strong view on this, and I'm not even sure one way is better than the other one. However, since the rel does add some weight to a page, it might be worth it to check it out thoroughly. Maybe we could do that at the beta stage, to take some of the research work off the back of the devs.

Mmm, this is quite the old topic wink

Pfu, I've been dug out to the grave; and never noticed it.

I should sleep more ^^

41 (edited by jim5 2007-06-02 19:52)

Doesn't work like that. Googlebot for example get and store everything. Then, somewhere during indexing or during the filtering for public access (most likely at the end, so that Google has it internally) the "nofollow" content is tagged

Google will never disclose the real objective/usability of "nofollow" tag. If google declared that it doesnt follow "nofollow" tag, then it doesnt necessarily means that you can add a-d-u-l-t or any other links on your website using nofollow sad. Webmasters around the world believe in what google openly said in any conference (BLAH BLAH BLAH), but they never come to know what Google instructed their search operators/programmers behind the closed doors of their lavish offices wink.

Its best to rely on personal experience and online blogs. Several webmaters are still lurking in dark over the exact functionality of nofollow attribute, and how does it actually behave when confronted with Google, Yahoo or MSN crawlers. As per my experience, I feel that links with rel="nofollow" are kept in some hidden database and never shows up while searching back links for a particular website. However it could be possible that links with rel=nofollow have to undergo strict monitoring, but in the end they are treated as any other links. smile

Hoping for the best. Meanwhile you can join read some cool articles on SEO at my online blog : http://groups.google.com/group/seohawk

Top Google Secret 1
Google told to its programmers "We are organizing a trip to Disney Land Tomorrow".
Google told its marketing team "We are organizing a trip to Bikini Island Tomorrow wink

Lesson1  : Never rely on Google Talks.

Kinda nice big_smile big_smile