1 (edited by fixed 2007-03-18 13:27)

Topic: PunBB 1.3.X development

Hi, happy user of PunBB 1.2.X - seems to be great!

I've just finished designing on paper a bunch of modifications I want to make to PunBB.  The plan was to hack up 1.2.X, then port them to 1.3.X's plugin system once it's available (assuming the API will be sufficient for my needs: I need some subforums to be heavily overhauled).

Should I do this, or would I be best off grabbing svn/cvs/etc of 1.3.X and starting my work there [how much of it is expected to change]?  What's the expected approximate release date for 1.3.X?

Is 1.3.X encouraged to be used yet by those looking to write pluginst?  (... and is it usable for production, glitches expected? :-) )

Re: PunBB 1.3.X development

Right now, 1.3 is in alpha. I haven't seen anyone commit not to change a critical thing in the 1.3 branch, the API, whatever.

As far as I know, of course.

right: i'm happy if the API changes a bit, as long as it doesn't substantially change in concept (meaning a plugin rewrite).

i just wish to take the least painful route.  porting changes from 1.2.X to 1.3.X may be more/less painful than this?  i don't know.

1.3 is in alpha, it's not suitable for production use, and the extension system does not have all of its hooks yet.

right: when is a release expected (approximately)?

When its finished, there is no date for the release.
It all depends on how fast or slow the developers go.

7 (edited by fixed 2007-03-18 13:51)

i 100% realise that - "when it's ready" :-)

the release date is going to determine my moves on some heavy modification to punbb: i'm wondering whether i do all/some of it if a release is many months away, or hold some of it off.

an approximate timeframe (i'm not holding anybody to anything) would be appreciated!   porting 1.2.X modifications to 1.3.X will probably be *fun*.

the other thing as well: are security fixes for 1.2.X going to be maintained for some time after 1.3.X is released?

you can see what there is to do by going to http://dev.punbb.org and see the changes by going to http://dev.punbb.org/timeline

i have done that.  it doesn't answer the questions i'm asking (at least, clearly), hence why i'm asking them.

There is no answer more precise than "when it's done" smile

fixed,

Looking over your list of modifications, how long do you estimate it will take to accomplish?

Then I think we can come up with a better idea of what would be your best route.

there's a whole range of them.  there's a few more minor ones that i forsee having ready within 2-3 weeks, but others that may not be ready for a few months yet.

fixed wrote:

... but others that may not be ready for a few months yet.

Then I would go the 1.3 route, you may converge at your target date with newer code.

Now, this is from a rather cloudy crystal ball, I've had no sleep and I'm running out of coffee.

fixed wrote:

an approximate timeframe (i'm not holding anybody to anything) would be appreciated!

We are all in the same boat. I have one project stalled, and I just installed two vBulletin for two clients because of the no visibility on the time frame we got on PunBB (meaning Pun 1.3 would have been better, but when someone needs something now or close to now, I can't advise them to wait in the dark).

That's how it goes, the devs can't commit to something without the resources to do it. And most PunBB user don't want to pay a grand to use it.

of course: believe me, i know, i've worked on open source projects myself and been on the other side of this fence smile

i'm only asking for an approximate expected date.  if that moves, all good, but i'd imagine the devs have some approximate time frame in mind...

as in, is 1.3 expected to be 2 weeks away? (obviously not :-) 2 months away? 6 months away? a year away?

if one of the latter... would it be of any benefit to the developers having somebody like myself try to develop plugins, and report back on how useful the API is (and how it could be extended to support perhaps needed things?)

I can't imagine 1.3 not being out before the end of this year (hopefully long before then)

as for developing extensions, yes we plan to ask people to try it out before we release 1.3, but we're not quite ready for that yet smile

thanks: i'll just hack on 1.2.X for now.  please indicate when you'd like people to start testing plugins for 1.3.X, keen to ensure the API does support the strange things i want to do :-)

also, an earlier question: are security fixes for 1.2.X going to be maintained for some time after 1.3.X is released?

fixed wrote:

thanks: i'll just hack on 1.2.X for now.  please indicate when you'd like people to start testing plugins for 1.3.X, keen to ensure the API does support the strange things i want to do :-)

I'm sure we will, if i were you i'd keep an eye on our blog as thats where all the 1.3 info is going to appear (in addition to more specific 1.3 discussion)

As for 1.2.x security afaik we will release updates for any major security issues, but not for general bugs.