Topic: No emails being sent at all! :-(

HI there,

My problem is with registering new users. No emails are getting sent with passwords on.
What am I doing wrong?
www.sociologyresources.co.uk

Spot_on

Re: No emails being sent at all! :-(

I'd talk to your host. If they don't allow you to send emails using PHP's mail function, you'll need to fill in SMTP details

Thanks Smartys, I'll need to send mail via php for other sites too, so I will ask them - I am with FastHosts.

Oops. Mailbox for the site was a forwarding one, so not a 'valid' mailbox for php purposes.
Will try to register again soon.

I have changed the mailbox to a standard (POP3) one and it still does not send an email.
Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks

Spot_on

Ask your host

I have also noticed that any "send mail" php forms that I been using has completely stopped functioning this month (12/06) and is not sending me e-mail to my remote (@yahoo.com) email address.

I had contacted my hosting provider and this is what they told me::

==================================================================
Do your forms set a From header, and if so are the From addresses email accounts under a domain hosted on the server?

While scripts which send mail using Sendmail or the PHP mail() function should continue to work due to a large amount of abuse by spammers we recently had to make a change in the server configuration under which you will have trouble sending mail via scripts if you have set a From header containing an email address with a domain which is not hosted on the server.

If your scripts which send mail are not setup to have a @yourdomain.com address or another address under a domain which is hosted on the server in the From field you will have to reconfigure them. Note that if you wish to use an email address not hosted on our servers to receive replies to your PHP generated mail you can setup a forward in Mail Administration to have the mail forwarded to any email address you choose and use that email address in the From field in your forms.

Should you need to set the from header to a domain that is not hosted on the server (or if you wish to add visitor's email addresses to the From field in contact forms), you will need to configure your script to use our SMTP server rather than Sendmail. By using our SMTP server with authentication, you will be authorized to set the from header to any email address you?d like. If you need to do this, use stmp.yourdomain.com as the mail server where yourdomain.com = any domain hosted on the server.

You can connect on port 25. For authentication (which is required), use the full email address of any existing email account and it\'s password. Using SMTP you should be able to modify the from header as normal from your script or application.

While necessary in order to avoid having all mail from our network blacklisted as a spam source we apologize for any inconvenience this change may have caused. If you are already using an email address which is hosted on the servers in your forms.
==================================================================

Hope this helps a little for anyone that has the same problem that I've recently encountered on my server using "Send Mail" forms...

Cheers

I just found this thread. I was having an insane time trying to figure out why Welcome emails were being received fine to my Gmail account, but never to my personal email account on my own domain(!).

I decided to give it a shot. What the heck. I filled in the SMTP info and the next test user I created for myself came instantly into my inbox! And it didn't go to the Spam folder either!

hooray beer!