Topic: Can I pull index.php out of the uploads folder + other ?'s

Hello,

I'm brand new to installing and configuring message boards.  I tried a couple others before I found punBB.  I am so glad I found it!  It's been super easy to figure out.  I have everything working perfectly, however, I'm not happy with the path needed to get to my boards.  Since the index.php was in the upload folder to begin with, I left it there for lack of a better idea.  Now I know I want the forums to come up directly under /community and not /community/upload/index.php.  Am I making sense?  So, can I pull it out of the upload folder?  And if I do, what does that do to the administration of the board?  Will I have to edit something so the admin can make adjustments to the board?

I have three more questions that aren't really problems, but I thought since I was already here....  wink

1.  I don't see where I can change the color of the new post icon.  I'm using the Oxygen style.

2.  I have changed the color scheme on the Oxygen style and I don't see where to change the color of the text in the text area.  Like where it says, "Write your message and submit".

3.  In the Admin section, is there a way to set things so that members cannot choose other styles for the boards?  I want everyone to view it the way I have it all the time....

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

~Susan

Re: Can I pull index.php out of the uploads folder + other ?'s

Uh oh....I should have paid more attention.  I now realize that I should have put the contents of the upload folder right into the community directory.  Amazing what a night's sleep will do for your concentration.  I had been fiddling with it a lot last night and then posted this first thing this morning.  So, my question now is...can I just move the files around or should I start over so the admin can have full functionality?

You could just move all the files from the current directory to the one you need, but you will have to make sure you then get all the file and folder permisions set correctly and change the url paths in the admin area / database.

But as you have no data or users yet, i would just do a new install to be safe.

Dodge

All you have to do is move the files and change the base URL in admin options

Thank you very much.  I got it all moved and fixed.  Now I just need to figure out the small issue of colors and I'm set!  Thanks again!

6 (edited by Susan 2007-04-09 13:01)

Just an update....I figured out the color issues.

NEVERMIND ON THIS QUESTION...I FOUND THE ANSWER  (My only last question is about whether I can disable members' ability to change styles on their view....)

Thanks again!

to disable the ability for members to change styles just remove all the styles ( *.css files ) you don't want them to use from the "/style" folder

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Thanks.  I found a thread on these forums that suggested that or to change the extension of the files.  I changed the extensions so I wouldn't need to upload later if I changed my mind.

I love punBB!

i just move them to a folder i created in the same directory.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more