Topic: hcgtv, the forum

With the help of Rickard, erissiva and ConnorHD, my PunBB forum went live today.

Last night I fed over all posts and comments from hcgtv.com, which is a Nucleus blog.

I now have 1,170 topics and 3,181 posts, so I submitted it to PunBBig.

This is a much better way to view your blog's comments wink

Re: hcgtv, the forum

looking cool smile

one minor suggestion: change the colour of the links on the google ads? they look really out of place

I matched the link colors to the Minima style, I hadn't even noticed that.

Thanks Connor.

#125 on PunBBig: http://punbbig.shacknet.nu/index.php?pa … t=&p=9

Thanks Chacmool.

Looks great, Bert!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Last night I styled the gallery running singapore to match the forum and main site.

Check it out: http://hcgtv.org/

The beauty of CSS smile

Very nice smile

I really like how the entire site now looks the same.

Thanks CodeXP, it's taken me a bit to get my head around CSS but you can do wonders with it.

I've been reading Cascading Style Sheets, the Definitive Guide, 2nd edition by Eric Meyer and it's helped me to better understand the hacks I've done in the past. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears but I figure another year of this and I'll be able to create any type of site that I want.

It sure helps to start out with apps that are XHTML compliant smile

hcgtv wrote:

Thanks CodeXP, it's taken me a bit to get my head around CSS but you can do wonders with it.

I've been reading Cascading Style Sheets, the Definitive Guide, 2nd edition by Eric Meyer and it's helped me to better understand the hacks I've done in the past. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears but I figure another year of this and I'll be able to create any type of site that I want.

It sure helps to start out with apps that are XHTML compliant smile

Yeah, CSS is incredible much more powerful than the old method of just using HTML smile It's just a shame that IE sucks at it though.. Imagine how efficient you could write if it supported it a bit better, like the other major browsers do.

although its not just IE, i mean no one supports css properly sad

Connorhd wrote:

although its not just IE, i mean no one supports css properly sad

That's true, but IE is definetely the worst of them. What bugs me the most right now, aside from the "tags" it doesn't support, is that it can't cache images refered in the CSS sad

My sites look awesome in Firefox, then I fire up IE and all hells breaks loose. I'm really tired of having to go to a Windows machine and check out my sites, since I'm running on a Linux box.

I know our sites look different in every browser but with IE having such a huge percentage of the market and it renders sites so badly, I'm growing weary of these issues.

I've come to the conclusion that if my sites validate fine against the W3C site, then I'm cool.

Using the Feed Aggregator, I placed the hcgtv forum into cruise control.

Since the front end feeds off of Yahoo feeds, the forum matches those items now. With quaker helping out this weekend, we made some tweaks to the fa_cron.php script and stripped out some text from the feed titles and user name fields.

The cron job that runs every half hour takes but a few seconds to update and parse 5 feeds, not bad.

hcgtv, it was ur fault...lol... i got some new feeds going... i fount a few new sites.....lmao....
http://bunpai.com

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!