Topic: Punbb with mods

Are there any other releases of punbb with the most used mods? I saw PwnBB. It has 17 mods, but I don't know about most of them, and doesn't have some stuff I'd love to have on my forum.

I was thinking if there would be anything like that coming up.

If you ask me about the most wanted mods big_smile, I'd say: private messaging, BBcode, an arcade is great, showing the last post's title in the column..etc.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: Punbb with mods

Moved to PunBB Discussion
If we released PunBB with modifications installed, then we would have to support those modifications. As such, we leave the modification installing to the user and (most of) the support to the creators of the mods.
With 1.3, extensions will replace most (if not all) modifications, making the whole process much simpler for users.

That means that I'll have to wait for 1.3!
I'll see how far I'll get till then.
I know that mods aren't supported by punbb. But since they are mostly done by active users here, and people of "trust" apprently, then why aren't they supported?
And I was asking if there were any other users like the one of PwnBB who are thinking about helping. smile

Papillon wrote:

I know that mods aren't supported by punbb. But since they are mostly done by active users here, and people of "trust" apprently, then why aren't they supported?

Just to be clear, I'm saying that they're not officially supported by the developers, not that they're unsupported.
The reason is, we (the developers) didn't write the mods. We're VERY familiar with the PunBB code. We're less familiar with the code for every mod (after all, we didn't write it). wink
It has nothing to do with trust and everything to do with the fact that there are many mods and supporting them and the way they all interact would take up a great deal of our time. As it is, we try and help out when we see people with modding issues. However, we can't support every possible combination of mods. In cases like that, it's most helpful for the relevant mod authors to discuss how to integrate all the code.

Papillon wrote:

And I was asking if there were any other users like the one of PwnBB who are thinking about helping. smile

Which is why I moved the topic here: Feature Requests is for requesting new features for PunBB itself. smile

There's a few packages of mods you can check into.

http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=253
http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=915

And a couple more I think too.

But since they are mostly done by active users here, and people of "trust" apprently, then why aren't they supported?

I don't know about that. Anyone can submit a mod.

If you're only looking for a few mods just install PunBB and then install the mods. It's not hard to do and it is a good way to get familiar with the way PunBB is coded.

frontpage mod is a good one but it needs alot of updates.... from version 1.2.10 to 1.2.15

im just playing around with 1.2.14 til 1.3 comes out....

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

I didn't think about issues that can emerge from mods combinations.
And yes, I see that the best way is to re-try installing the mods I want by myself..at least until something new comes up.

Thanks for the links soonotes, but some of those have features that I won't need, so I don't think that I'll use them.

I'll stick around to get help with the mods installation.

Papillon wrote:

I didn't think about issues that can emerge from mods combinations.
And yes, I see that the best way is to re-try installing the mods I want by myself..at least until something new comes up.

Thanks for the links soonotes, but some of those have features that I won't need, so I don't think that I'll use them.

I'll stick around to get help with the mods installation.

Uh, then don't use the mods installed?  I mean, you can _always_ manage them in the plugin section. :rollseyes:

Fracture wrote:

Uh, then don't use the mods installed?  I mean, you can _always_ manage them in the plugin section. :rollseyes:

I don't know how can that be exactly, I just follow the read-me instructions.