Re: Trying to install punbb forums

LOL @ Myself

I guess I dont know where I put this:

mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd')
          -> WHERE Host = 'some_host' AND User = 'some_user';
      mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Those are two MySQL queries smile

I'd suggest talking to your host about getting this set up wink

I got that from the link you gave me.

Yes, I know, I also quoted that part. They're two MySQL queries. They let you change the password on a user to use the older authentication scheme.

I've been having problems as well.  I'm evaluating if Pun will work for my needs and have gone through the install process:

Created DB and User
Added the user to the DB
Uploaded all contents of the Upload directory to the forum root
Ran install.php with triple checked information
C'nP'd Config data to a new file named config.php (not php.txt)
Uploaded config.php

When I go to index.php, I get nothing - as in no information in the source code.

I have tried changing the R-W-E permissions on the directories/files in Filezilla, I have enabled debug mode in the include/common.php file, I still get nothing.

I even tried making an edit to the php file by commenting out everything, and doing a <?php print "test"; ?> at the first line of index.php... that worked so I then removed it and restored the original index.php file only to find that the "test" output is now being cached.  I cannot find any .php files in the cache directory to delete... so I'm pretty much at a loss.

Anyone have any insight?

The "test" output is being cached by your browser: Ctrl-F5 should fix that (or just clear your cache).
Make sure that config.php and lang/English/common.php exist and don't trigger parse errors.

Thank you for the quick response.

Ctrl+F5 didn't relieve it (as that is how I always refresh during dev)... deleting the whole cache directory and all of the root.php pages, then replacing them all did for whatever reason work.

config.php exists... as does lang/English/common.php

Neither give any errors or output when I go to them directly.  Reviewing the code of each in markup colors shows that everything seems to be correct in them (at least a basic level).  To be sure, I downloaded the build again, and re-uploaded all of the files from scratch.  Unfortunately I have gotten the same result.  For thoroughness' sake, I just went through and installed it on another apache server (from a different webhost) and it has operated the same way - i.e. nothing past install.php works.

I think it must be something with my names or passwords, or something.

To test I simply made it as simple as I could, after deleting all of the database, and all elements of Pun from the server (including the /forums/ directory that I had created), I started over by uploading everything from the upload folder of the freshly downloaded punbb-1.2.15.zip file and created a new database through the cpanel.

dbname = test
username = tester
password = test

no prefix on table names

Made the config.php file and uploaded it.

Same result.

This is an Apache 1.3.36 (Unix) Server
w/ PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 4.1.21-standard

Everything PHP/MySQL I've ever put on it has worked.  I'm pretty PHP proficient, and I can't see any reason for this not to be working.  Any other ideas?

33 (edited by JDex 2007-04-25 13:25)

Here's an interesting note.  All of the tables generated in the db by the install.php execution have "latin1_swedish_ci" Collation.  Is this supposed to be this way?

Edit: After another reinstall of it all and exporting all of the db, dropping the tables and recreating them... it works.  :hmmm: