Topic: Is it possible to post something from outside the board?

Hello!

I'm running a website where every 1 or 2 days I publish some news about movie or dvd related topics. Like "label XY is going to release DVD YZ in March...", anything like that. I have my own news system for that.

Is it possible with PunBB that I include a PunBB-script, call a function with all needed parameters and every new news is posted in the forum too?

This would be great.

Regards,

Carsten

Re: Is it possible to post something from outside the board?

One way around it could be to create a forum called "News" or something. Then using extern.php in your Pun directory, include links on your homepage straight to the forum thread of the news article...

Other than that, I reckon you'd have to get someone to do a mod :)

It shouldn't be so difficult if you look in the post.php-file and examine what it calls in the post-form element and just send that info directly to the db when posting your news.

I'm thinking about how to implement this for PunBB 1.2. Not sure how I will solve it though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Make PunCMS would be a start :)

6 (edited by Paul 2004-01-28 19:27)

Rickard wrote:

I'm thinking about how to implement this for PunBB 1.2. Not sure how I will solve it though.

I've been looking at this sort of thing as well; I have a need to put an article/commenting system on a site with PunBB as a forum. It would be nice to combine the two. So far I have come to three conclusions

1. The output which appears as articles or news items on the sites front page should be static rather than dynamic. There is no point in querying a database every time a page is loaded when the page only changes twice a week.
2. The posting of comments is the same as posting replies so it is pointless to duplice this functionality, just use PunBB.
3. If a forum is going to be designated as a news forum then forum permissions will have to be altered to allow only certain people to start new topics which will become the news items.

I am beginning to fall in love with xml/xslt so I am thinking of using PunBB to ouput news/articles as xml files and then generating static xhtml using xslt via sablotron for the sites front page.

If anybody wants a blog which could be made to work with PunBB then they could do worse than look at Wordpress which is also a php/mysql system.

Bear in mind that xml/xslt/sablotron is not available on every webhost when designing the solution which it may be.

RNilsson wrote:

Bear in mind that xml/xslt/sablotron is not available on every webhost when designing the solution which it may be.

True. Another solution is to base the front page of a website on a template like main.tpl. Everytime a news item is added via PunBB a new static webpage would be generated from the template incorporating the latest news update. Anyway, I am off topic as usual. I think the original poster wanted exactly the opposite didn't he smile though I think that using PunBB to post news items is a better solution than using a news script to post PunBB topics.