1 (edited by sverrir 2003-10-06 03:27)

Topic: Icelandic language

I'm working on the translation and it's almost complete, v0.99 wink
I need to run over it to check it for conformity and also I haven't done the stop word list.

I'll let you know when it's finished, in the meantime you can check it here:
http://www.sverrir.net/files/punbb/is.zip

Re: Icelandic language

Cool!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

If you are uncertain about what to put in the stopwords list, do this:

1. Try to obtain a list of the most common icelandic words (google is your friend here).
2. Go through the first 100 words or so and pick out words that don't help searching. Stopwords are words that help us humans communicate but doesn't nessecarily "mean" anything. The english word "the" is a classic example. You shouldn't include words that are shorter than three characters long. They are ignored by the search engine anyway.
3. Add the following words to the end of the list (in english):

the
and
you
that
was
for
are
with
his
they
have
this

Perhaps you know all this already, but I just felt like giving you a heads up :)

Edit: I thought of something else. If you already have a forum with posts in icelanding, you can run an SQL query to determine what the most common words in your forum are. There query looks like this:

SELECT sw.word, COUNT(sm.post_id) AS hits FROM search_words AS sw INNER JOIN search_matches AS sm ON sw.id = sm.word_id GROUP BY sw.id ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 50

The query will display the 50 most common words currently in the search index.

If you use a table prefix, you have to include it in the table names search_words and search_matches.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

smile Thanks for the tip.
I started on the stopword list yesterday and I would say it's nearly finished.
Two words that I would like to see added to the stopword list(but that's just me)
-rofl
-omg

I'm going through the final steps today so hopefully this will be ready tonight.

5 (edited by sverrir 2003-10-08 16:29)

Done big_smile

Edit: Kudos to www.destroydrop.com for pointing me to PunBB and the assistance over the years.

Excellent! The index and download page are updated.

Kennel wrote:

Excellent! The index and download page are updated.

Typo on website
Download the "lang pang" from the download page.

Sad isn't it. Nothing better to do than find typing errors on other peoples websites.

Version 1.1.1 has been sent to Rickard for evaluation.
We'll hopefully see it here soon smile

I'll upload it when I come home later tonight.

I am also working for Icelandic translation geting some work for this translation from local market..
and get a good money ..
but in my work i am also getting the same problem ..
I am shearing some of them visit and tell me the issue..
icelandic