Topic: I am totally new, new to everything to do with punbb

Hi,
I am new (as you can tell). I dont even know how to set it up, I have a website at bravehost and I wanna setup forums about audiogames, which are games for the blind. What do I need and how can I get it, and is it free. Also I need to know what to upload, and if you could tell me the approxamite size that would be good, I only have 50mb. Anyway I also would like a manual on how to use this thing, because I have invisionfree forums that are crappy, pieces of junk. So... Reply...

Re: I am totally new, new to everything to do with punbb

And what does it mean, subscribe to this topic? But if you could answer the other questions, I dont know where to find anything.
Thank you,
Andy Smith

andy smith (I am blind) wrote:

What do I need and how can I get it, and is it free.

You need the forum software. You can get it at http://punbb.org/downloads.php (and yes, it's free). smile

Also I need to know what to upload

You'll be download a file that is compressed in some fashion. Once you uncompress it, you'll want to upload the contents of the upload folder.

and if you could tell me the approxamite size that would be good, I only have 50mb.

< 1 MB, for the PHP and images anyway

Anyway I also would like a manual on how to use this thing, because I have invisionfree forums that are crappy, pieces of junk

What kind of information are you looking for?

And what does it mean, subscribe to this topic?

It means you can get email notifications when someone posts in the topic

Like how to get this whole thing started. I have a bravehost website, and I just dont know what to upload, how to run the php script (it is php right...), and how to do that database thing that you need. It said something about my sql, what is that, and how can I get that? Once I have that where should I put it, on the website, or install it on my computer...

Like how to get this whole thing started. I have a bravehost website, and I just dont know what to upload,

As I said, the steps are as follows:
1. Download a copy of PunBB
2. Uncompress it
3. Upload the contents of the folder named "upload" to the server
To install, you simply go to your browser and type the address where you uploaded it to and add install.php at the end (so if my site is named mynewsite.com and I uploaded the files to the "forum" folder, I would browser to http://mynewsite.com/forum/install.php). Enter the details it asks for and PunBB will install. You then need to copy the text the script generates (it generates a PHP script), save the text as config.php, and upload it to the same place you uploaded all the other files

how to run the php script (it is php right...),

PHP is run by the server when you browse to the page in your browser.

and how to do that database thing that you need.

That's something your host's control panel should allow you to do, create a MySQL database and user

It said something about my sql, what is that, and how can I get that?

MySQL is a database system that PunBB uses (PostgreSQL and SQLite are two others). They need to be installed on your server (your host most likely installed them, you wouldn't be able to, they're actual applications) or you can't use PunBB.

If you have a free package with bravehost this does not support either mysql or php. That means it is not capable of running punbb or any other forum script. Really all it can do is host basic web pages.

Ok. Thanks guys. You have other suggestions for forums and/or messageboards?

I can't think of any that don't require SOME dynamic programming language. If all you can do is serve static HTML, then you really can't do much in terms of a forum.

Hi,
I got (or have just found...) a webhosting that has php and my sql. Will it work in PunBB? And I have a question: I am blind and use a screenreader. Do you think that any of punbb's functions will work with a screenreader?
Thanks,
Andy

Yes, PunBB should work

And you should be able to use PunBB with a screenreader, yes

Hi,
I have something else:
Lets say, when you browse to the website, you need to click, for example, a link that says "forum." I can do:
<a href="http://xxx.com">forum</a>

So in the xxx part, what address do I put so it can link?
Thank you,
Andy

Hi,
I have something else:
Lets say, when you browse to the website, you need to click, for example, a link that says "forum." I can do:
<a href="http://xxx.com">forum</a>

So in the xxx part, what address do I put so it can link?
Thank you,
Andy

I don't know, that depends on your webhost

Hi,
When I tried to install punbb with the webhost called zendurl
http://zendurl.com
is their site, I received this error at the end:
PunBB / Error

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'.

So now what...

Do what the error says: make sure PHP has write access to the cache directory. You'll probably need to chmod the folder (Google chmod if you don't know what it is/means). If that fails, you can always ask your host.

Hi, how do you chmod that? For example, how do I set the permissions so that php can do what it has to do? And also, how do I go about doing this, what programs/tools do I need for this chmod thing?

You set file permissions with your ftp client sofware. Go to the folder you want to set permissions for. Your ftp client will usually have a submenu for folder properties which includes permissions or it may have a submenu for commands which includes chmod.

17 (edited by andy smith (I am blind) 2007-05-07 21:48)

What ftp clients can I use that are free because I use ie6 which obviously doesn't have that. So what kind of clients can I use for this?

Filezilla is free.
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Whether it is easy to use with Jaws (I assume you are using Jaws) is another matter.

Smartftp is also free.
http://www.smartftp.com/

Of the two, Smartftp seems to have the most straightforward and easily navigable interface.

How did you know I had Jaws...
In any case I do. I am gonna try smartftp because I saw that on google as well, first result that came up.

And now... Once I get this whole thing up and running, how and what can I do with the adminastrative interface? For example: delete users (very harsh move...), delete posts (something useful for getting rid of spam posts), and closing topics (would be cool if you want to say, "paws off this topic..."), add ranks (new member, advanced, guru, etc.). And finally: the ability to separately custimize ranks. Example: Mike: new member. But the admin wants to be something else... Whatever; just something cool to have. Actually I should'vr put that in the "suggestions" forum but...
And also how do you make forums? For example: gaming is one forum, game news another, off-topic is another...
Thank you guys,
Andy

When you install PunBB there will already be a test forum setup for you. You create new categories and new forums through the administration interface which you reach via the administration link in the main menu. You can also edit the forum that was initially setup for you by changing its name and description. You can also setup user ranks through the administation interface.

You can delete, close or stick topics via the links which are the at the end of the forum and topic pages.

You may find the admin interface a little hard to use. It uses tables for layout and form controls are not as well marked up as they should be. Having said that, its probably easier than a lot of other forums.

You should be pleased to know that the next version of PunBB (including the admin interface) is aiming at compliance with accessibility priorty 2 checkpoints and has been tested on Jaws and Homepage Reader. You are the first screen reader user I've come across who has actually installed a forum from scratch which makes me think I might need to take a look at the installation procedure and the help that is available. Incidentally, do most Jaws users use Internet Explorer for ftp because it is linked to Jaws?

i believe they do; I haven't met someone who doesn't use ie for ftp. And... Well... I am having problems getting jaws to read the textboxes in smartftp, it just says "edit." which means an edit field; no label of anything I haveto write. So now what can I do?
Regards
Andy

What are catagories?

What are catagories?

If you look at the index page for these forums, "PunBB", "PunBB Additions", and "General" are all examples of categories.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.