Topic: Running more than one database, or using a single database for PunBB?

I'm curious.  How difficult would it be to unify the members/login/users database so it worked across different installs of PunBB?

I'm sure there will be those who ask 'why'? - however over and above having a unified login mechanism, there are other reasons for the decision.

I have talked about doing a couple of things, such as having only one DB for the users, while using separate DB's for more than one board.

I have even thought about having one 'big' DB, with many prefixed tables for different boards and one user table, but my fear is that will make the everything slow down under heavy traffic.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to implement this?

Thanks!

Re: Running more than one database, or using a single database for PunBB?

Anyone??

Your suggestions will be welcomed!

Well it would require some modifications, because you'd remove all the db prefix from certain forums files and keep it in others, not to mention that you'd need to update manually all the files when a new version is out. Unless it's a dire need for you I'd avoid that.

Another solution is to submit the user registration to both databases, again it needs some modification of the source files. In this case you'd simply have a simultaneous registration, but it won't affect anything else.

Hi Strofanto, thanks for replying ...

Yes - we know we'll have to modify the tables/code.  That's a given.  smile

I guess the bigger question is, which method would be the best in terms of speed?  Using separate databases for each board {and only one user table DB for all}, or having one "FAT" database, with all the board(s) tables prefixed, with one user table in the same DB?

Submitting to more than one forum at a time is definitely out, so the only choices I have are whether to use one Db for the whole enchilada, or {hopefully} use separate and distinct DB's, using only one Users Db for all of them.

i hope this makes sense. smile

Raybo wrote:

I guess the bigger question is, which method would be the best in terms of speed?

Well I guess..

Raybo wrote:

Using separate databases for each board and only one user table DB for all

Oh well, someone else already replied wink

Yes this sounds like the best solution to me.