Topic: Split & Merge Topics

Several forums allow admins and mods to split and merge topics
it'll be useful in this forum

greetings

Re: Split & Merge Topics

I'd second this. It would be nice to have a "Moderate Topic" feature similar to the "Moderate Forum" one ...

I'll consider it. I never really liked the idea of splitting and merging topics though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by Louis 2004-02-03 19:40)

Rickard wrote:

I never really liked the idea of splitting and merging topics though.

Yet you manually did it when you split off the discussion about PunBB without <table>s from the PunBB 1.1 Impressions topic. You even forgot to change the name of the topic author. Wouldn't it be easier to have this done automatically? I'd find it easier to justify removing spam and off topic posts from topics if I could point to another section called "Junk" for example and say, "they're still here ..."

I did that because someone requested that I do it :) I don't mind discussions going off topic. It's how we humans discuss things.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by Louis 2004-02-03 21:50)

For discussions, I can understand that -- but what about a Help forum, where you want users to have a clear idea of how to solve any specific problem, yet one problem transforms to another problem, mid-thread. How would anyone else find out about the second problem? The easiest way would be to split the thread and link the two together: then if someone has a problem and needs to look up the second thread they can do so. It just keeps things clean and organized.

A good split feature is difficult to implement. Especially when you consider the fact that post dates must make sense even after a split or a merge. I'll give it some thought.

Louis wrote:

For discussions, I can understand that -- but what about a Help forum, where you want users to have a clear idea of how to solve any specific problem, yet one problem transforms to another problem, mid-thread. How would anyone else find out about the second problem? The easiest way would be to split the thread and link the two together: then if someone has a problem and needs to look up the second thread they can do so. It just keeps things clean and organized.

and to further complicate it you can have a bunch of messages, that belong to the first thread nestled into the later part of the thread ...

Closed, sticky FAQ threads usually does the trick for help forums ... where one just cut and paste some and edit the first post all the time ...

Frank H wrote:
Louis wrote:

... The easiest way would be to split the thread and link the two together ...

and to further complicate it you can have a bunch of messages, that belong to the first thread nestled into the later part of the thread ...

I meant to say, "move the related posts to the second topic ... then link the two together ..."

Even with an FAQ topic, it still leaves the original topics cluttered and doesn't allow people to reply with comments, basically defeating the purpose of using forums for a support area. Also, there would not need to be extra overhead maintaining an FAQ topic ...

Rickard wrote:

I'll consider it. I never really liked the idea of splitting and merging topics though.

We had it in the previous software we were using, and while I admit it wasn't used all that much, it was nice to have when we did need it.

11 (edited by Louis 2004-02-14 20:31)

Mike from CS wrote:

it was nice to have when we did need it.

My point exactly ;)

Plus it would help usability by providing a consistant interface to moderate both forums and topics. ;)

12 (edited by Andre 2004-12-05 13:50)

I use a lot the merge feature in Invision 2.0 and it's really useful to clean useless posts.

Would be great to have it in PunBB wink

Another solution would be to be able to modify the author and the date of a post.

lets all go bumping topics almost a year old, and say nothing useful!

there is a split topic mod, merge would be very hard to do in my eyes

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

14 (edited by Andre 2004-12-05 22:41)

Gary13579 wrote:

there is a split topic mod

Are you talking about this one ?
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4374

When a mod is working fine, is it included in the next version of PunBB ?

Louis:  There's already a Split-Topic Mod - http://www.punres.org/files.php?pid=22
Just read the directions and install it yourself; it's easy.

Regarding 'Merging Topics', simply use your web host's control panel to access the database.  Then, move posts one at a time to the new thread: go to the 'posts' table and edit the 'topic_id' for each post you want moved.

I'd really, really, really like to have this functionality. I modified an ealier ver of Pun to do this but lost the mod when I upgraded to 1.2.7. Rickard, if you don't want to make a standard offering, what about building an Admin plugin?

There's already a mod for this I think wink

http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=541

18 (edited by soyuz 2006-03-30 21:46)

D9r wrote:

Regarding 'Merging Topics', simply use your web host's control panel to access the database.  Then, move posts one at a time to the new thread: go to the 'posts' table and edit the 'topic_id' for each post you want moved.

Hi Dean,

i'm interesting with this. could you tell me how to do it, since I don't understand about mysql. my web host has phpmyadmin.

thanks for your help.

regards,

Soyuz