Topic: More comprehensive descriptions in the admin panel

With this title I want to say that its would be great to put ?Saves a sql request? in descriptions of the options which allow by their activation or not, to carry out or not an additional request sql.

For example, for the option ?Display list of guests and registered users online?, add ?Warning, this feature requires an additional sql request?

Please forgive me for this approximate English (I translated this text with google translator, yes shame on me smile )

Keep up the good work ! wink

Re: More comprehensive descriptions in the admin panel

If people'd care enough about a single query extra, they'd notice when enabling it.

elbekko wrote:

If people'd care enough about a single query extra, they'd notice when enabling it.

Indeed. Plus, it's not always as easy as saying "this adds one sql query"
Options can modify queries as well, making them more or less complex.
Also, it would only serve to confuse people who aren't familiar with SQL.

Smartys wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Indeed. Plus, it's not always as easy as saying "this adds one sql query"
Options can modify queries as well, making them more or less complex.
Also, it would only serve to confuse people who aren't familiar with SQL.

So add a performance warning like other descriptions wink

Personaly, I wanted to tweak my punbb to reduces the number of sql queries so I asked myself "is this option 'add' a sql query"...

Then enable PUN_SHOW_QUERIES and PUN_DEBUG and have compare query counts, query times, etc tongue
There's a great deal more than just "fewer queries = better!" and I have a feeling that's the point you're at now. I would focus less on the number of queries being run unless it's becoming a serious performance issue, in which case it's most likely due to a mod rather than PunBB itself.

At the end of the day, if you're wanting to optimise the hell out of everything, you've got the source code, start optimising. big_smile A high level UI will never give you that level of optimisation no matter what friendly, (and rather useless, one might add), messages it gives you.

7 (edited by kimelto 2007-06-14 10:13)

Smartys wrote:

Then enable PUN_SHOW_QUERIES and PUN_DEBUG and have compare query counts, query times, etc tongue

Yeah, I played with it ! smile

Smartys wrote:

There's a great deal more than just "fewer queries = better!" and I have a feeling that's the point you're at now. I would focus less on the number of queries being run unless it's becoming a serious performance issue, in which case it's most likely due to a mod rather than PunBB itself.

I like tweaking my punbb application in order to just have the features I need. And if this features spend a lot of time (queries?), it is better to disable them. big_smile But it is a state of mind smile
note : I have a basic punbb install without any mod instaled.

What I will do : see the options I can disable to get a basic forum without extras features (what ? extras features in punbb big_smile ? )

EDIT : what type of server I need to run a basic punbb install with ~400 users all the day ?.

A 386?

Nothing special, definately not the heavy dual-core machines you'll find for vB forums.