Topic: Does GPL allow integration of punBB to a commercial site?

hi, I've read the faq on licensing and I'm still a little unclear as to what the GPL allows me to do.
Basically I'm designing a commercial site for a friend, it needs a forum with logins integrated with with main site. Rather than reinventing the wheel I'm looking at integrating some of the various forum packages out there into my code for the main site.  Possibly I might expand this to include using for comments on articles etc later. I'm still at the planning stages.

Obviously I would need to at least include() punBB files in my code and quite possibly modify the punBB files. So, my question is if I'm paid to do this does this count as distributing modified/derivative code? Therefore against the GPL? It would only be used on this site, not made available or sold elsewhere. I could integrate with a commercial package like vbulletin of course, but I thought the code for punBB looked a lot less bloated and would be less hassle to mess around in.
Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Re: Does GPL allow integration of punBB to a commercial site?

No, you're fine. You can be paid to integrate GPL'ed software, there's nothing prohibiting that. And since it's being used only on the site, distribution doesn't become an issue.

The only thing is, your friend have the ability/freedom to read, edit, and distribute your PunBB setup and PunBB by itself.

4 (edited by turingtest 2007-06-19 00:33)

cool smile thanks for the quick replys.

The only thing is, your friend have the ability/freedom to read, edit, and distribute your PunBB setup and PunBB by itself.

You mean I need to supply him with the source, and he'll be allowed to modify/redistribute it according to the GPL? I've got no problem with that, can't picture that he'd even know there was such a thing as code that ran his site though big_smile

Since it's interpreted, the source will already be available to him on his server smile

I didn't say it was something bad, just pointing out what the GPL does.

Oh and if you mod PunBB or integrate some of your code, it has to be GPL to. If it's external and somewhat rely on PunBB code, then it's a more complex area. But for a friend, don't need to hammer your head. You can do whatever you want pretty much, as long as you don't restrict the freedom of your friend/client and the freedom of PunBB.