1 (edited by chucky 2007-06-25 09:27)

Topic: [1.3] Multilanguage board

Hi !
so far when people need a multilanguage board, they create different forums, each one for one language

but i think this is a bad idea, because it really splits the community in 2 ( or more ) :
a lot of people can speak several languages, for example my mother language is french, but i can speak english

i signuped in several bilingual forums, but i hardly ever post/read topics in the english-speaking section ( lazy to keep switching between the two sections )

I think it would be a good idea to merge those forums into a single one :
_ when someone creates a new topic, he chooses the topic's language
_ each user chooses the language(s) he can read in his profile, and of course only the topics matching those languages would be displayed to him

_ the ability to post multiple topics in the different languages, for example for an annoucement, an admin wants to create a topic translated into all the languages available, instead of creating x posts, he just creates one, and on the topic writing page, he has as many textareas as there are languages and then when he clicks on the submit button, x topics are created, one for each language.
( the created topics wouldn't be binded in any way, it's just to save time )

_ maybe, when a topic gets really interesting, we may want to translate it into all languages, it would be a "multilingual topic", depending on your profile settings you 'll see the topic in xxxx language, and then admins/translators would have to translate every answer in all languages

Will the 1.3 plugin system allow to create such a modification ?

thanks

Re: [1.3] Multilanguage board

A plugin might be able to be created, if not a mod could, I doubt many people actually have the amount of time required to make something like this work well though.

3 (edited by chucky 2007-06-25 12:04)

Connorhd wrote:

A plugin might be able to be created, if not a mod could

u mean such features might require to modify "by hand" punbb files, and that they coudn't be implemented as a normal plug-in ( these plug-ins that are installed/uninstalled in 2 clicks ) ?

Connorhd wrote:

to make something like this work well though

i've never read punbb source, but do you think it would be very difficult to code ??? i would like to have these multilingual features, so i may spend some time to make this work

thanks

p.s.   : do you know if there is any other forum software that has such features ?? ( don't worry, i'll stick to punbb forever wink, but i may just take a look at the way it works precisely )

for 1.3 it could be an extension, but it might not be possible to code it that way so yes you might have to edit files by hand.

its not difficult to code, difficult to run and therefore not useful to many people.

5 (edited by chucky 2007-06-25 19:40)

what do you mean by " difficult to run " ??
you mean difficult to install ? to use ??

Connorhd wrote:

and therefore not useful to many people.

at least it will be useful to me smile, by searching this forum a little bit i found some other persons who asked for this kind of feature,

but imho, i think it would be useful to some people, there are more and more multilingual forums out there, sometimes up to 10 different languages !!

In those, many bilingual persons, including me keep switching between 2 forums, for example i "double post" nearly half of the time. Or for example during periods when i'm lazy to read the english section, and then one day i realize there was an awesome piece of information given on the english speaking section 2 months ago ....
The different languages communities are so separated that some of us even play the role of "messengers" between the different forums categories, to keep everyone up to date about the "others' " important ideas, debates ( it's a support forum about a software )

and i really think that's a pity as 3/4 of french have basic knowledge of english language, the problem is that there are separate forums, so most people just don't go and check the others ( forums )

I know that this plugin/mod would not be useful to as many as for example the private messaging plugin does, but i don't think i'll be the only one to use it ( maybe we will be three or four big_smile   :joking: )

thanks

by the way, do you think the 1.3 version is "final enough" so that people can start writing plugins/mods for it ???

hello.
i have made an mod for multi language forum.
you can see demo on http://tmforum.awardspace.com/punbb/ .

and of course only the topics matching those languages would be displayed to him

this feature is not there. i think it is not needed in my case, most people know both languages here.

mod is here: http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=4876 .

7 (edited by qdb 2008-06-29 06:06)

oh. you meant punbb version 1.3. i had not see. i have mistaken.
("[1.3] Multilanguage board")

but this may be will help.