1 (edited by Burnsy86 2007-06-27 23:51)

Topic: Guests Online

Is there something going wrong with my "guest counter" because I never have more than 15-20 guests online and right now it keeps growing and growing and won't stop.  Theres over 100 guests online.  Its almost like whenever a guests gets on, the counter goes up, but then when they leave it doesn't go back down.  Its not a big deal, but its kind of weird!

Re: Guests Online

ok maybe it IS a big deal, could someone be trying to hack me or something?  it keeps going higher and higher each time I refresh the page.  There can't really be a new visitor every 3 seconds.  What the heck!?!

Sounds like someone is ddosing your site, either that or you just got a lot of traffic all of a sudden from somewhere.

dfdf

5 (edited by MattF 2007-06-28 04:37)

Burnsy86 wrote:

Is there something going wrong with my "guest counter" because I never have more than 15-20 guests online and right now it keeps growing and growing and won't stop.  Theres over 100 guests online.  Its almost like whenever a guests gets on, the counter goes up, but then when they leave it doesn't go back down.  Its not a big deal, but its kind of weird!

One thing I have noticed is with certain ISP's who use the proxy/caching servers, whereby the users visible IP changes each time they view a different page, so you may have upto five apparent connections for one user, until they timeout. Just a thought.

Reines wrote:

Sounds like someone is ddosing your site, either that or you just got a lot of traffic all of a sudden from somewhere.

ddosing? what is that?

Distributed denial of service. Most likely you're just seeing the result of some quirk, however, not being subjected to a DDoS attack. That type of attack would generally cripple your bandwidth/server in no short order.

8 (edited by qubertman 2007-06-28 23:36)

Mostly likely you are experiencing robots visiting your site. Read this:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=15827