1 (edited by Burnsy86 2007-06-28 21:51)

Topic: Database help needed (quick)

My company is switching web hosts this weekend and I need to know if there is any way we can save all of our forum members and posts.  I know we are probably out of luck, but is there any way we can save anything?

Another question: when we switch, I might as well upgrade to PunBB 1.2.15 but I noticed the installation guide doesn't mention anything about CHMODDing the folders 666 or 777 or whatever.  Do we still need to know which folders get which properties?

Thanks a lot guys!

Re: Database help needed (quick)

Do a dump of the database? Then upload it to the new SQL server?

File/dir perms are dependant upon setup. If the http daemon is the dir/file owner, 0700 for dirs + and 0500 for files will suffice.

Haha, I have NO idea what that means!

What type of database? Mysql, Pgsql or Sqlite? What database management interface do you have available?

5 (edited by Burnsy86 2007-06-29 00:03)

We use MySQL and don't have access to any management features.

And thats why I think we are out of luck, but I just wanted to make sure.

Can you install plugins? If so, there are a couple of db backup plugins on the download page:

http://punbb.org/downloads.php

7 (edited by Burnsy86 2007-06-29 01:45)

When I backup the database I get a .sql file.  Does it contain all of the info necessary to make an exact duplicate on a brand new database/server?  Or is there any programming I would have to do?

Thanks a lot for the help by the way!

Does it...?

Yep. It's a no-brainer. smile

Burnsy86 wrote:

When I backup the database I get a .sql file.  Does it contain all of the info necessary to make an exact duplicate on a brand new database/server?  Or is there any programming I would have to do?

Can't say as I've tried either of them, but they both work both ways I believe, extract and restore. Their documentation will tell you more.