Topic: Powerful antispam in punbb1.3

I just closed another punbb forum without antispam. Received over 50k spams in one month; i wasn't careful enough. Punbb 1.3 needs an antispam feature built in. I really hope we won't have a punbb 1.3 coming out without that feature which I think is crucial.

Re: Powerful antispam in punbb1.3

There has been lots of discussion about this before, 1.3 will be released with a number of anti-spam extensions allowing the user to decide what protection to add for themselves, any built in protection will just become quickly outdated and if everyone has the same it will be easier to get around.

50k spams in one month. Very impressive. We should hold a content - who has the most spam smile

4 (edited by Laburno 2007-06-27 16:23)

Why simply don't add, in the registration page, a question (choosed by the administrator in acp) that only a human can answer?
Dunno, something like "What's the color of the lemon?" and stuff like that

Laburno > this is a plugin we have on another forum. It works like a charm. You just reminded me we actually never released it. I will try to improve it and release it.

Laburno wrote:

Why simply don't add, in the registration page, a question (choosed by the administrator in acp) that only a human can answer?

Accessibility reasons for one, though personally I hate that technique because some of the questions people have come up with aren't as obvious as they should have been. (for instance the lemon question - a blind user might not know the answer...)

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

Rich Pedley wrote:
Laburno wrote:

Accessibility reasons for one, though personally I hate that technique because some of the questions people have come up with aren't as obvious as they should have been. (for instance the lemon question - a blind user might not know the answer...)

A blind man shouldn't be trying to access a forum anyhow?

Of course blind people can and should be able to access forums. The question thing is accessibility-friendly and the question with the lemon was only an example. Questions on our forum are like "Write "blue" ", and it works perfectly well for now.

kairi wrote:
Rich Pedley wrote:
Laburno wrote:

Why ? blind peoples are allowed to browse Internet as far as I know, there is no law forbidding them to read forums.

yemgi wrote:
kairi wrote:
Rich Pedley wrote:

Why ? blind peoples are allowed to browse Internet as far as I know, there is no law forbidding them to read forums.

And they are supposed to read the forums how?

screen readers. hence the reason PunBB has no CAPTCHA by default, they don't work with them.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

There are specific display equipments for them : http://www.afb.org/ProdBrowseCatResults.asp?CatID=43

Mk, makes sense I suppose I just find it really odd.

More to the point, accessibility is a legal requirement in the UK and, I would guess, most of the EU for sites providing a service to the public. The US has similar though, I think, somewhat weaker legal requirements.

As for graphic captcha's, forget blind people, vbulletin's search captcha is so bad I regularly need several attempts before I can work it out. A non graphic captcha should work in theory but I've yet to see a really good implementation.

Paul wrote:

...vbulletin's search captcha is so bad I regularly need several attempts before I can work it out. ....

aint that the truth.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Paul wrote:

A non graphic captcha should work in theory but I've yet to see a really good implementation.

I thought that the possibility to let administrator to choose their questions could have been a pretty safe system to block spam, cause i suppose (but actually i don't really know) that a spammer would code a spambot able to attack more boards at the same time (maybe just aiming at forum version). In this way, for the spambot, any board is different from each other.
i'm sure to have seen a similiar system working on some blog platforms.... but i don't find some links.

About the accessibility question: does a captcha really is more accessible than a label and a form (that already are in the registration page)?

Thanks for the comments, and... pardon my english smile

Laburno wrote:

I thought that the possibility to let administrator to choose their questions could have been a pretty safe system to block spam, cause i suppose (but actually i don't really know) that a spammer would code a spambot able to attack more boards at the same time (maybe just aiming at forum version). In this way, for the spambot, any board is different from each other.
i'm sure to have seen a similiar system working on some blog platforms.... but i don't find some links.

There is a multi question/answer version of Sirena's mod due. I'll get it sorted later today if I get chance. Questions/answers are admin specified, and any number of pairs can be used.

18 (edited by MattF 2007-06-29 17:24)

I've just added the new mod to Sirena's thread before I forget again. big_smile big_smile

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=97474#p97474

The best spam protection I've seen around is the akismet module. I am using it and every day it catches one or two messages. It's cool, but it's still to strict, it bans users for nothing.
I think that a goos solution would be:
if the user has less than a certain admin-defined number of posts, then he/she cant post messages containing links.

I think i will implemente this in one of my forums one of these days. For the punbb gurus out there, please let me know if there is anything i should be careful when doing this small hack.