Topic: Put extern.php output into variable

Hi,
I'm using a Template System, and i want to replace {$tickerlist} (in the Template) with the 10 newest Topics of the Forum. So i need to put the "<li>foobar</li>" output from the extern.php into a variable that i can assign to $tickerlist later.

I tried to replace

echo '<li><a href="'.$pun_config['o_base_url'].'/viewtopic.php?id='.$cur_topic['id'].'&action=new" title="'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['subject']).'">'.$subject_truncated.'</a></li>'."\n";

with

$ret .=  '<li><a href="'.$pun_config['o_base_url'].'/viewtopic.php?id='.$cur_topic['id'].'&action=new" title="'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['subject']).'">'.$subject_truncated.'</a></li>'."\n";

in the extern.php.

Then included the extern.php in my php file that assigns variables for the template and assigned the $ret to the tickerlist.

include 'http://localhost/pages/virtpress/forum/extern.php';
$smarty->assign('tickerlist', $ret);

(I assigned the $_GET variables directly at the beginning in the extern.php, because i must not use paramters behind the URL.)

<ul>
{$tickerlist}
</ul>

Now it puts out nothing at the page -.-
Why's that? Anyone has another idea for using extern.php with a Template System?

2 (edited by quaker 2007-07-24 17:43)

Re: Put extern.php output into variable

can u not just do a php include in the template system?

</php
include 'http://localhost/pages/virtpress/forum/extern.php';
?>

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Actually.... yes.

But why using Template Engine when i use PHP code in it -_-?

You would need to fetch the file using file_get_contents, fopen, fsockopen, curl, etc: those are all options

file_get_contents and fsockopen is disabled at my webhoster

how can use fopen here?
what to do with the resource when openend the extern.php?

Look at the documentation for fopen, fread, and fclose. fread returns a string which is the contents of the response.