Topic: PunBB ToS

Sorry to be a bother, but I was wondering if there was a TOS for punbb software as I cannot find any on the punbb website.

Re: PunBB ToS

No there isn't. All that is necessary is that you comply with the GPL licence.

3 (edited by Jackadory 2007-07-30 11:36)

So any discussion about an illegal activity - taking place on a punbb software forum cannot be reported?

Nope, you can do with it whatever you want.

Hmm, well, do you know of anyone I could contact about suspicion of illegal activities on the web?

I don't want to go to the police just yet.

If the server is located in a country that actually cares about it, the police are the only ones that are allowed to do anything.

But usually servers like that are in Russia or Turkey, where there are absolutely no copyright laws.

elbekko wrote:

If the server is located in a country that actually cares about it, the police are the only ones that are allowed to do anything.

But usually servers like that are in Russia or Turkey, where there are absolutely no copyright laws.

Eh? Surely if the activity on punBB breaks the TOS of a host (or AUP), then the host will take action. So go to the host first, not the police....

Servers don't always belong to a host.

Exactly, its the TOS or the AUP of the web host/ISP who is hosting the site that is relevant. If the site is not hosted by a hosting company/ISP e.g. they have dedicated servers then the place to go is the server provider because they will have TOS/AUP regarding use of their servers. If they are running their site from a bedroom server then it would be the ISP who is providing the internet connection.

Complaining to us about a particular use PunBB is put to is like complaining to  Microsoft if somebody writes a defamatory letter on MS Word.

Well I assumed the software providers would have a TOS as most forum software providers do.

As Paul said, even if it is a dedicated server, the datacenter hosting that server will have an abuse policy in place. Most datacenters are quite quick to sort out any illegal activity (but it varies from place to place)

Jackadory wrote:

Well I assumed the software providers would have a TOS as most forum software providers do.

Really? I don't recall ever seeing downloadable GPLed software with a TOS.

13 (edited by Jérémie 2007-07-31 14:22)

The Gnu Public License is their TOS smile