Topic: Search Engine

I'm wondering... would it be wiser to use mysql's built in search indexing  as opposed to using punbb's search indexing? The site I'm coding for will eventually have a lot of traffic and a need for two search indexes.

I've come to understand the reason for punbb having it's own search system was to maintain compatibility with more than one type of database. Now I'm hearing horror stories about how big databases are becoming and how backups are getting painful with a punbb search index. It would be even worse for me because I'll have two search indexes (one for pictures and one for forums).

I don't HAVE a signature, ok?

Re: Search Engine

Yes, it would be wiser. I'm considering switching to MySQL fulltext indexing, but I'm not sure it will make it into 1.3. An alternative is to simply provide people with a new search.php and then disable the search indexing code.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by creaturecorp 2006-02-01 06:12)

Would a mysql fulltext index be as fast as the one punbb already offers? Could you offer me some pros and cons, Rickard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't HAVE a signature, ok?

A mysql fulltext index would be faster, yes. The cons are that not all MySQL installations support fulltext indexing and I am not sure how well it works with non-english languages.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi

Just a question on mysql fulltext search. Isn't it impracticall? It can use only one table to index the words, so how can I use it on my own code that had members in one table and posts in another and the keyword search would look in the member name or a word in the post? Is the way to do it using separate 2 indexes and then joining them together somehow?

Jerry