1 (edited by Reines 2006-02-14 17:58)

Topic: Whatpulse

I couldn't find any evidence of whatpulse being used around here, so thought id see what views people had on it, or if anyone else used it? I have now had it installed for abit over a year, and still use it.

Simply put, it's a program which counts how many keys you press, and how many times you click your mouse, then adds them to a database on its server. You are then ranked against other users. There is also the ability to join teams, which are then ranked against other teams.

There is no real point to it, or use of it, however it is quite interesting to do.

My community has a team we started a week or so ago, which is currently ranked 140th (boo sad). You can see some team stats here.

Do you feel that you could have moved your hands, keystroke by keystroke, across the globe twice every day? Interested in finding out just how much you type a day?

Well then welcome to the WhatPulse for irc.whatnet.org homepage. This website <-> software combination is the best way of keeping track of your keystrokes.

How does it work?

WhatPulse opens a so-called "keyhook" when it's booted, which listens to incoming Windows messages about the keyboard, the keyhook sends these messages to the program itself, and the program first determines if the key pressed is a proper key (Every standard keyboards' keys are counted) and then simply does PreviousKeyCount + 1.

Pulsing: When you "pulse", you're actually sending your keycounts in the program to the server along with other information about your Account, so the server can decide where to put the keycount. If the pulse goes according to plan, the server sends back an "OK", and the client's keycount is reset to 0 (zero), and your previous keys are added to your profile in the server database! smile

And for all you people who are thinking "oeh mi god a keylogger, no way!", well, exactly, No way. WhatPulse is not and never will be any sort of keylogger, it does not collect the keys you type, but only how many keys you type.

http://www.whatpulse.org

Re: Whatpulse

WhatPulse is not and never will be any sort of keylogger, it does not collect the keys you type, but only how many keys you type.

Do you compile this yourself to verify that it's not a keylogger or do you just believe it's not?

Just asking... tongue

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Tobi wrote:

WhatPulse is not and never will be any sort of keylogger, it does not collect the keys you type, but only how many keys you type.

Do you compile this yourself to verify that it's not a keylogger or do you just believe it's not?

Just asking... tongue

You take their word for it tongue They have over 50,000 users so my guess is if it was a scam someone would have noticed by now.

Lol... maybe that's why my bank account is mysteriously decreasing... lol

Digital photography news, reviews, discussions and more!
http://www.shuttertalk.com

The online bible for all
http://www.publicbible.com

Reines wrote:

They have over 50,000 users so my guess is if it was a scam someone would have noticed by now.

The word that is irritating me here is "guess".
Anyway, I won't have a potential keylogger running to count my keystrokes while I do my online banking wink

So I will send them the amount of my daily keystroks and they have to take my word for it.

Don't get me wrong, most probably this is totally harmless, on the other hand - what if it's not? ....

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Word, Tobi... I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten-foot pole. Sure, it's fun but...

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

It's really a pity that nowadays we all have to be so paranoid....'cause the idea is really funny.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Paranoid is the word of the day.

Their concept is unique but I would have issues with anything running resident, counting my keystrokes and reporting them to some distant server.

9 (edited by Ruckus 2006-02-16 06:59)

I agree that security is a huge issue, but you should also do a bit of research, just did a quick search on google and returned with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatPulse , a fairly trustable website.

I myself have been using it for awhile and it is perfectly safe.