1 (edited by VisionForce 2006-02-20 13:24)

Topic: IE7 view problem

PunBB does not work right with some of the themes when viewing posts in IE7. The text and all are overlapping. Go to http://www.programming-designs.com/forums/ to see what I'm talking about.

"That's the worst mistake you ever made."
   - Wolverine, Ultimate Spider-Man

Re: IE7 view problem

PunBB came first.

Have to wait for PunBB 1.3 if you want to use IE7.

Like someone cares about users who use IE7...

elbekko wrote:

Like someone cares about users who use IE7...

lol!

"That's the worst mistake you ever made."
   - Wolverine, Ultimate Spider-Man

I don't see any problems, could you give a link to a page that doesn't render correctly?

I'm moving this. The official position (i.e. mine in this case) is IE7 is not supported until at least the release candidate stage and even then PunBB 1.2 won't be retrofitted to take account of it (not unless someone asks really nicely).

CodeDuck: You have a present for me, yes?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

CodeDuck: You have a present for me, yes?

I'll let you know when I get to the warehouse and pick it up.

Paul wrote:

The official position (i.e. mine in this case) is IE7 is not supported until at least the release candidate stage and even then PunBB 1.2 won't be retrofitted to take account of it (not unless someone asks really nicely).

Sounds reasonable, I'm running on daily builds of IE7 and I don't see any problems, at least not at punbb.org. I think it is quite safe to wait for beta 2 (I personally think releasing a build called "beta 2 preview" is confusing), there will be plenty of time from beta 2 to RTW.

CodeDuck wrote:

I'll let you know when I get to the warehouse and pick it up.

Ok, cool.

Paul wrote:

I personally think releasing a build called "beta 2 preview" is confusing

The real WTF is that you can't easily install it side-by-side with IE6.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

There is actaully a way of running both using a batch file to make registry changes when the browser opens and then undo them again when the browser closes but it doesn't work for everyone. That means conditional comments work properly in IE6 and IE7. Instructions can be found here.
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archiv … 34132.aspx

Thinking about it PunBB of course doesn't really have any compatability problems with any browsers. It will run perfectly well on a text browser if necessary. The only issues are with the stylesheets. Anybody who is running the kind of forum where there will be a lot of IE7 beta users is likely to be the kind of person who knows what changes need to be made to get things to work.

P.S. I quite like IE7 from what I've seen but Opera 9 rocks.

Rickard wrote:

The real WTF is that you can't easily install it side-by-side with IE6.

Look at Chris Wilsons blog for an explanation.

Hrmm, I think I'll just install some sort of VM to install it and test it tongue

A VM is great for testing without messing up the production environment. You can try Virtual PC for free (45 days), I would reccomend this for workstation use.
In server space you can try Virtual Server for free (180 days) and VMware also has a free VMware Server the VMware is a Beta though.

CodeDuck wrote:

A VM is great for testing without messing up the production environment.

You could also try Xen: http://xensource.com/ - the new kid on the block

Couldn't get XP to install, so I kicked it and will wait untill it officially comes out tongue

I like FireFox smile