1 (edited by livatlantis 2006-04-12 18:59)

Topic: Style changes (How do I...?)

I'm setting up a PunBB forum, but the width of the whole thing is very short (around 550px). To save space, I'm trying to change a few things in terms of layout.

Does anybody know how to do these?

1) In the viewforum area, remove the "Views" column altogether.

2) Have the area that displays the topic name longer (the Index » Forum name » Topic Name thing). For longer names, the break seems to be coming in earlier (considering the space available).

3) Reposition the 'poster information' bar so it appears at the top of a post.

Instead of something like this on the left:

livatlantis
    Administrator
    IP: 127.0.0.1

I'd like to remove that bar completely and have a line above every post that reads something like:

livatlantis, Administrator (2): Online

I'm working on the forum locally, but if my descriptions aren't clear I could upload them to a public-access server or clarify what I mean.

I appreciate any help at all, thank you smile

Parimal Satyal - Powermetal from Nepal

Re: Style changes (How do I...?)

I found this posting while searching for techniques to remove the View column.  I worked it out myself, by making small modifications to the viewforum.php file.  I don't really like hacking the main files directly, as it will doubtless make updates a little tricky, but it's fast and it works.

There are two lines to comment out in viewforum.php:

<th class="tc3" scope="col"><?php echo $lang_forum['Views'] ?></th>

and

<td class="tc3"><?php echo ($cur_topic['moved_to'] == null) ? $cur_topic['num_views'] : ' ' ?></td>

You could comment out these lines using the HTML commenting tags, but then the output of the column will still be visible in source.  Not that it's such a big deal, but I prefer to clean up the source as well, so I comment the lines out with:

<?php /* remove views    <th class="tc3" scope="col"><?php echo $lang_forum['Views'] ?></th>    */ ?>

and

<?php /* remove views    <td class="tc3"><?php echo ($cur_topic['moved_to'] == null) ? $cur_topic['num_views'] : ' ' ?></td>    */ ?>

This will eliminate those lines from your HTML source altogether.