Topic: New messages in a topic are not available!!!

Rather serious problem.
Often new messages in a topic are not available!!!
Some last messages are just not displayed, and the topic is displayed as if those messages did not exist!

The problem is very serious for us, for a long time we are unable to do anything with it..

If we don't find a solution, next question will be "are there any migration tools from PunBB to other forum-engines? I didn't see such tools yet sad"

2 (edited by Smartys 2006-05-22 10:36)

Re: New messages in a topic are not available!!!

You haven't given a lot of information about the problem tongue
So you mean when people respond to a topic sometimes their posts don't get added? Or do they not get added at all? What EXACTLY is happening? tongue
Oh, and there's no need to threaten to change forum software: if you want to that much, go ahead
And there was no need to post it in two places tongue

I've removed the duplicate topic.

Can you post a link to your site? Since nobody else has reported this problem it is probably something to do with your particular setup/server. Have you modified the PunBB installation in any way.

As far as I know, no forums offer tools to export data to other forums. Forums will only ever offer tools to import data from other forums. I know there are certainly forums which can import PunBB data.

4 (edited by druidk 2006-05-22 14:32)

I'm not really trying to threaten anyone, I'm not that silly smile.
Simply I included one more question in my message, that is "Are there any  migration tools from PunBB to other forum-engines ?", 'cause I already thought about that sometime, and didn't find any.
Generally, I do adore the main idea of PunBB, and that is why I'm here.

About "What EXACTLY is happening".
Message, I suppose, gets added to DB.  But when we view a topic, it isn't there . When we view a list of topics in forum, the last message's time and author is displayed correctly. But when we click on the "last mesage" link, we do not see the message !!! We see exactly the same picture as if we click on a topic - we see a topic without that message!
After some time (such as 30 minutes for instance) everything get's nomal and messages become visible.
That is what EXACTLY is happening..

It's not ANYWHERE in the topic? Are you sure you didn't change anything to the post fetch query or the pageination function?

2eblekko:
I suppose it is not ANYWHERE in the topic.
I didn't do any changes, but installing 2 (I bet) plugins..
(let me recall: Private messages, attaches. )

You have a link?

8 (edited by druidk 2006-05-23 10:28)

The adress of our forum is http://www.lover.org.ua/forum/

PS Also we remarked an another bug: guest's post often apperar dupluicated (OR EVEN 3 TIMES) in a topic,  with exactly the same time..
Yet another minor duplication bug: in a "active user"-list one and the same user often appears more than once.

so what about described bugs ?
Does anyone going to help us about them ??

Well, it's odd. Are you sure no errors occur?

My best bet is that your DB can't handle some characters and just ignores the post.

What changes have you made to the source (I made a new topic as "test" and my post showed up 5 times)

2Smartys :
Yeah, rather usuall situation for our forum sad(.
I bet I  didn't  do any special changes, but installing 2 plugins.
(our forum is: PunBB 1.2.10 +  Private messages,  + Attaches)
I may send you any source code file, or even all files gziped.

Would be nice to understand what's wrong with us smile

2elbekko :  I suppose you're wrong, no problems with characters here..

I do recall seeing the multiple posts problem reported once before and in that case it was the mysql server that had a problem which was not specific to PunBB, I think the problem was even worse with phpBB. Maybe some information on your server/hosting would help.

I don't realy believe that is because of MySQK, but here you are:

Environment
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 4.3.10 - Show info
Accelerator: N/A

Database
MySQL 4.1.8a-log
Rows: 282061
Size: 11.13 MB

It sounds to me as if there's a cache or proxy interfering. Especially since the posts "appear" after a while.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I had a similar problem when i first tried using Opera, it was due to the cache being set to only update once every 5 hours.

2Reines :
(once again)
When we view a list of topics in forum, the last message's time and author is displayed correctly. But when we click on the "last mesage" link, we do not see the message !!! We see exactly the same picture as if we click on a topic - we see a topic without that message!

I guess this could not happen because of cache. Also different people from different places deal with these problems sad(

We still suffer greatly from a problem of " New messages in a topic are not available"  !!!

Right now I can't read a message, which was written more than 2 hours ago (according to "last message" in a forum view)!
Though it is rather important for me to read that message sad(((.

Can anyone help with the problem ?????

Sounds like a problem with your server caching data (assuming you're not the only one having this issue). Talk to your host and ask them

20 (edited by druidk 2006-06-14 14:23)

I'm my host.

And I really don't believe in server's fault like caching, I'm sure it's an PunBB bug , because:

1) other sites and forums work properly
2) PunBB also work properly, put  this (and 2 minor) moments
3) different people see th same problem about our forum
4)they http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11936 seem to have the same problem.

sad((((((

Anyone can help ?

Duplicate posts are not the same thing as what you're saying

22 (edited by druidk 2006-06-14 15:09)

And who of us two is fool?

Topic http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11936 is named "duplicate posts and new posts not showing up"

if you read the post it is a known issue and is easily solved. log out, clear your browsers cache(and cookies if you want) then log back in.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

druidk wrote:

And who of us two is fool?

Topic http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11936 is named "duplicate posts and new posts not showing up"

You wink
The name is irrelevant. I can't find where a post was missing in there, what I see is posts showing up multiple times. Which is not what you talked about, although it is a known bug with known fixes