Topic: Opera 9 Released

Opera 9 has now been released. From my experience of using the beta release this is certainly my browser of choice for browsing. It would also use it for development but I can't live without Chis Pedricks Web Developer extension for Firefox. The other good news is that there is no longer any point in fixing a couple of irritating but harmless bugs in Opera 8.5.

http://opera.com/

Re: Opera 9 Released

Slick, I use it alongside Firefox.

Nice. Opera deserves more credit than it gets.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Nice. Opera deserves more credit than it gets.

True, but the way it renders some CSS and stuff like that keeps me away from it.  But it does have a lot of great features that I wish FireFox would use.

Kato wrote:

... but the way it renders some CSS and stuff like that keeps me away from it.

Like what? My experience of Opera 9 is its css handling is superior to Firefox 1.5.

6 (edited by Kato 2006-06-21 16:20)

It's been a while (a few months), but I was coding a website. After it was all said and done, it checked it against WC3 verification to make sure it was all compliant with all the standards.

YAY for me!  It was!  *pats himself on the back*

Open it up in FireFox (my normal browser) and it displayed just perfectly.  Opened it in IE and I had a minor glitch, but it was a box handling bit with how IE works with css.  I had a feeling it would do that and I know how to "trick/hack/whatever you choose to call it" IE with correct css. Open it in Opera and it didn't even center my link bar properly.  The bar was in the right place, but all the links were off and smushed together. But hey...the code checked out perfectly with WC3.  I never did figure it out and after I did some asking around, I was just told that this was how Opera displayed CSS/tables and it wasn't the same as WC3.

As we all know, this is just going to lead in to more browser/development problems.  This was with Opera 8.5...the free version (I refuse to pay money for a web browser). I haven't tried Opera 9...

Opera 8.5 had bugs, specifically it wouldn't position elements properly without dimensions on them. Opera 9 is much better than 8.5. In the same way Firefox 1.5 handles css better than Firefox 1x.

Paul wrote:

Opera 8.5 had bugs, specifically it wouldn't position elements properly without dimensions on them. Opera 9 is much better than 8.5.

That was probably my problem then when I was doing that website. I haven't tried Opera 9...I might download and check it out.

It's a shame they didn't launch Opera as freeware a long time ago. I can't leave without Webdeleoper & other extensions in Firefox. Not the mention the problem witch acces keys. I couldn't post on boards with alt+s combination as I'm used to tongue

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

10 (edited by scottywz 2006-06-22 05:21)

Kato wrote:

... True, but the way it renders some CSS and stuff like that keeps me away from it. ...

Well, it does pass the Acid2 test; however, I still prefer Firefox.

gog wrote:

It's a shame they didn't launch Opera as freeware a long time ago. I can't leave without Webdeleoper & other extensions in Firefox. Not the mention the problem witch acces keys. I couldn't post on boards with alt+s combination as I'm used to tongue

In Opera 9, press SHIFT+ESC on a page with access keys. Then you'll be able to use any access keys you might want smile

Yes, I am aware of that. But when I write a message I just wont to press alt+s, pressing shift-esc-alt*s is an overkill smile

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

Accesskeys are on the way out anyway. Its becoming pretty much accepted that either they should not be used or they should conform to the standard used by government websites, which means alt+s brings up the search page.

Well, old habits die hard, lot's off applications (e-mail) use this alt+s shortcut as well. Didn't read any documents on the topic you are mentioning, but  the difference between desktop applications and web applications are becoming smaller every day.

gog wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. But when I write a message I just wont to press alt+s, pressing shift-esc-alt*s is an overkill smile

It would become SHIFT+ESC+S, not shift+esc+alt+s.

Still, I don't really see the point of access keys. They don't make things any easier for me, as most sites uses different ones anyway. Also, none of them seem to follow the setup of most other applications I'm using in Win/*nix, so taking the time to memorize new ones takes away a lot of my time. Besides, there is a reason why you have the tabindex parameter in (x)html. For me, it makes much more sense to write my message on a forum like this, then hit TAB+ENTER. A carefully thought out use of tabindex beats access keys any day.

Another problem with access keys, is that they can interfere with browser shortcuts as well. Really, I don't see the point & I hope it's as Paul says; they're on their way out.

The trouble is tabindex is now frowned upon even more than accesskeys, again for accessibility related reasons. The current best practice is to design everything with a good natural tab order. Fortunately, you will be relieved to know that PunBB 1.3 doesn't use tabindex at all though this does mean there have been a few minor adjustments to form design. As for the fate of accesskeys, we will have to wait and see.

P.S. Minor correction, alt+s is actually the government standard for skip navigation.

17 (edited by CodeXP 2006-06-24 12:56)

Paul wrote:

The trouble is tabindex is now frowned upon even more than accesskeys, again for accessibility related reasons. The current best practice is to design everything with a good natural tab order. Fortunately, you will be relieved to know that PunBB 1.3 doesn't use tabindex at all though this does mean there have been a few minor adjustments to form design. As for the fate of accesskeys, we will have to wait and see.

P.S. Minor correction, alt+s is actually the government standard for skip navigation.

I think I can understand why, as it can be confusing if you're pressing tab, and the active form element suddenly appears on a completely different part of the page. Still, I do prefer it to access keys, but of course as you say, a well thought out form would be best. As long as the submit button is among the first elements to gain focus (after the textarea, on a form like the reply one in PunBB), I'm happy smile

Paul wrote:

Fortunately, you will be relieved to know that PunBB 1.3 doesn't use tabindex at all though this does mean there have been a few minor adjustments to form design.

I like that... smile