Topic: PunBB vs. Punres

I have a question for the people that have been using PunBB for a long time now.  I'm new to PunBB, love it and will continue to use it. I just want to voice a little something that has come up and made things hard to do for a new person to PunBB.

I'm sure there just has to be some reason for it....but why Punres?  Why split out all the modifications/troubleshooting/Q&A/advice and discussions out between two seperate websites. It can be very hard to track down the information you are looking for when it is split between the two sites and you have fumble/switch between the two. What happened to make the split?

Just doesn't seem like it was a good decision for the community on the whole.

Re: PunBB vs. Punres

Because the PunBB forums are devoted to running the forum software and PunRes is devoted to modifications/styles. I don't think Rickard was especially in the mood to right the code for a mod database like PunRes.

Part of the problem is probably the mods here, including me, should really just close any topics relating to modifications with a message "get thee to Punres. I'm not entirely sure still having a modification forum here helps much either.

Or Plugins, although PunRes doesn't really support them

Interesting.  I just figure it would have been much easier and better for the community to keep it all in one place. I don't know about the whole database thing, but it just would have been and still would be far easier if they were combined.

6 (edited by Smartys 2006-06-22 19:39)

They were together for 1.1.x (or rather, PunBB had a set of forums for mods)

It would make more sense to have one port of call for modifications..... punres

Actually what I'd really like, is a unique login for both, I didn't wanted to register there just for the hacks and support... but I had to.

No I disagree on that.
I personally just use the same username and password for both bb and res.

Anyway I registered/logged in once when I joined and have never logged in again so pretty irrelevant if you ask me.

StevenBullen wrote:

No I disagree on that.
I personally just use the same username and password for both bb and res.

Anyway I registered/logged in once when I joined and have never logged in again so pretty irrelevant if you ask me.

i agree with that, thats all i do. its no harm at all.

Paul wrote:

I'm not entirely sure still having a modification forum here helps much either.

I have always considered this to be the biggest problem. Half of the mod discussions goes on in punbb.org's mod release forum, while the other half is at PunRes.

The ball is in Rickard's court though.

Thing is, if I close the mod forums, people will just post their questions in general discussions or programming or something.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

That makes sense Rickard.

But I have to agree that checking two sources for certain information can be a pain. Prime example...but not the only one.
PunBB PMS Topic (154)
Punres PMS Topic (163)

Yes, I agree. Maybe the hassle of all mod users having to check in multiple forums is greater than me having to move/close a few topics now and then smile There's still the issue of multiple logins, but I think we're gonna have to live with that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Thing is, if I close the mod forums, people will just post their questions in general discussions or programming or something.

we can just make it a point to refer people over to Punres if the mod forum is closed.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Rather than close the mod forum you could archive the posts and then make a redirect forum which reinforces the point.

The only glitch I can see is what happens once extenstions are implemented. The extension system itself will be part of PunBB and a few extensions may be "officially" supported so some questions regarding extensions will belong here and some on Punres.

Problems with official extensions should just go in Troubleshooting as any other PunBB problem.

So how will it work when 1.3 arrives.

Will support be around for both still? also will the forums change so that you can tell between 1.2.12 support and 1.3 support? because for sure people will still be running 1.2.12 for a while.

Nothing essential just curious.

My 2 cents: I'd like to see a mod release forum remain here, except with replies disabled, so that actual discussion is restricted to Punres.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Kato wrote:

Interesting.  I just figure it would have been much easier and better for the community to keep it all in one place. I don't know about the whole database thing, but it just would have been and still would be far easier if they were combined.

I agree. And that some persons aren't bothered doesn't mean that it would not be more userfriendly with just one forum.

It took me a while to even understand that there was two forums. Then you need to register twice, you can't search both forums at once and you most log in to both forums if using another computer then your own.

I'm not complaining, but I just think it would be better for punbb with just one forum.

sparq wrote:
Kato wrote:

I agree. And that some persons aren't bothered doesn't mean that it would not be more userfriendly with just one forum.

It took me a while to even understand that there was two forums. Then you need to register twice, you can't search both forums at once and you most log in to both forums if using another computer then your own.

I'm not complaining, but I just think it would be better for punbb with just one forum.

The problem I have with a single, unified forum is that the official forum (this one) needs to be as close to a stock install as possible, for demonstration purposes. A separate site for mods and styles, like Punres, alllows for special additions, like the project and style system, the board stats, and the wiki.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Ok, I see.. wink

23 (edited by twohawks 2006-11-10 23:19)

Hi all,
  I have another suggestion...

THE ISSUE, REALLitY
  I think productivity, continuity, and time are the relevant issues here.  It is counter-productive, not to mention counter-intuitive, and overly time consuming to have to deal with similar issues cropping up and being discussed in two different places that are so intimately connected. And that this persists raises valid questions about the proprietors' thoughtfulness to things being claimed as important to them (with regard to the product).  So how does this 'add' to how punbb appeals to newcomers (considering 'the whole')?

A glaring example of needless aforementioned waste is the (wonderful) calendar mod, which is actually posted in both forums (who knew that - I thought mods were supposed to be posted over at punres?!) - and keeping up a contiguous sensible bead on that is therefore twice as challenging and more time consuming, not to mention ridiculous - oh there I go, I mentioned it 8^P
   I don't understand why that wasn't merged over to the punres zone where it seemingly belongs as 'one thing' (unless I misunderstand the alleged protocol).  People are confused about what/which to download, and where to be discussing which/what current one... etc!

This is just silly.  And it's unprofessional.  And I think this reflects poorly on punbb.

OH WHAT TO DO?
   So Then, if
- we cannot sensibly merge the forums due to their distinct functions,
- and we cannot rely on administration hassling to be moving topics all the time,
- but we thereby have a counter-supportive factor effectively built in to this environment...

... would it possibly be an appropriate thing (coding-wise and utilitarian-wise), to at the very least create the ability in the search features at both forums to be able to search both forums from one location?
   I know this moves slightly away from 'the stock installation on the Punbb.org forum' concept, but if it was just that one little extra thing, might it overcome the 'dredge' and save us a lot of the hassle of having to keep up in two different places for certain things that really should only (need to) be in one place but it doesn't work that way? 

<BABBLE/RANT>
   I do not mind logging into two places, and enjoying the benefits of the two forums' unique offerings, but having to conduct separate searches and browsing gets to be needlessly combersome and time consuming - which also kind of rides counter to what punbb promotes about itself - slick and non-bloated and easy and smart, etc. 
   And no sooner do I obtain a bead on where I think all the relevant topics are for 'a thing' than there goes someone openning up yet another new one 'outside the designated zone' ...and because it is not moved to its 'home' I find that that kind of new thing usually gets overlooked by me for up to at least a week before I catch on... and then I find we now have two places where the same or similar issue is being discussed.   
   And its the same thing with mods and styles.  If you want to be browsing through the 'functional' aspects [mods + plugins], you necessarily have to equally wade through the 'form' aspects (styles) while you are doing it, and visa verse.    It takes up a heckova lot more of a person's time ...and its just not smart or necessary.  All that would have to be done is to better categorize and separate these things, and then better moderate where postings are going.  But I digress... this is certainly more about punres than here... however, the same sort of needless waste is going on, and its, well, needless.
</BABBLE/RANT>

Anyway, if punbb wishes to be growing up all smart and dapper, as it really seems to be as an open source php BB (I think its killer), I think the forums here do well to be reflecting that same dapper and polish.  I offer the search mod idea as a minimalist  fix approach in the face of the proprietor(s) not wishing to merge the forums; however, if it were me I think I would change that alltogether.  Re-do it right, as one place, as it should be imnsho.

And that's my 2hawks-cents.
Cheers,
TwoHawks

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

Search mod: As you said, it kind of kills the whole "running an unmodded version, it shows what the software can do on its own aspect." Not to mention that Rickard doesn't own PunRes and it's on a different server. tongue
Your point does make sense though

twohawks wrote:

Re-do it right, as one place, as it should be imnsho.

CLARIFICATION
The only thing I read here perporting there even needs to be two different forums was...

pogenwurst wrote:

The problem I have with a single, unified forum is that the official forum (this one) needs to be as close to a stock install as possible, for demonstration purposes. A separate site for mods and styles, like Punres, alllows for special additions, like the project and style system, the board stats, and the wiki.

With all due respect I disagree so magnanamously....
Why not show off PBB for all it can be?  YES
Does that limit the ability for stock demonstration?   NO
Can all of the issues being brought up above be better addressed and served in a single BB?  YES
Is it the simplest solution compared to all of the reasoning being given above for keeping two BB's, and thus having to deal continually with more needless issues?  YES
Is it more dapper and smart and useful to have onen forum?  YES
So why argue or think twice?  Why not do the simple, and beautiful, thing?  YES YES!

BEST IDEA / SIMPLISTIC SOLUTION
One PunBB, built the way Richard and best supporters (admins or whoever you work with Rich) envision it.
Added sectioning (Forums/Categories ..you decide how that looks/works), including:
- A demo of virgin PunBB at Steve's place, Pundemo.  The raw deal - how simple! (how cool!).
- A separate section for mods and plugins
- A separate section for styles
- Private messaging capability (if appropriate to the server load capacity here) for those times we need to be collaborating (without having to subscribe to other ircs)
- All the usual 'sectional-suspects' [wiki and all that]

And Then, when 1.3 comes out:
- 1.x.x Section
   - with demo section as above
   - with mod+ plugins section as above
   - with styles section as above (or see below)
- 1.3.x section
   - with demo section as above
   - with function-thingy (plugins + ??) section
   - with styles section as above (or see below)
- Styles section for both - if both versions use related styling
- Other 'both' sections for shared (but I don't know what that might be, if at all)

KIND OF THING.

I think if you keep it together, Richard, as creatively as you like, it is your best bet for inviting the new folks in and giving them a consistent feel for the slick and the easy and the dapper etc appeals of the spirit of the project, and getting them, and keeping them, excited in a solidly wholistic sense.

Hey, I don't need convincing.  I got nothing but respect for you and all your 'associates' here.  In fact, I am grateful for this project and hope to learn more about it, and by it.  I offer my twisted opinions and criticism here not to gripe, but only with the hope of helping punbb forum(s) become better for everyone - if that's even possible ;^)

Cheers,
TwoHawks

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool