Topic: Because of DB management, i give up PunBB ...........

i hold a site more than 10,000 members and 16000 topics,

but because punbb don't have it's own mutiple files db backup and restore tools,and i have tried every mysql tool i have learned from others,all can not back up my database.
my database is more than 20M ...

i'm sorry punbb. you are a good style and formatted project,but for this reason of database management, i only given up it and tried other forum programme.\

my heart is broken...

my heart is tear dropping...

so sadly with you,pun.ever my best love.

Re: Because of DB management, i give up PunBB ...........

If you use phpMyAdmin - you can leave out punbb_search_matches and punbb_search_words - since these can be rebuilt from the admin interface, that should alleviate the 20M problem.

Another option is to run a cron script to backup your databases, this is what I use:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mysqlscript.htm

yall seem to get quite a few of these types of posts.

i'm always surprised what people expect.  folks find a free, open source--developed at someone elses expense--software distribution, and complain when it doesnt function like other products people pay for.

maybe it's because I have several foss projects myself that I say this, but if it were me, and I wanted someone else to take time out of their limited schedules to code up some solution for me, you better believe I'm dropping $50-100 bucks to their paypal for their troubles (or for motivation), depending on the depth & breadth of the request.

isnt there a DB backup mod in punres?

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation - Oscar Wilde

5 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2006-07-07 08:25)

or you could just look in the downloads section and use the DB Management tool by Connorhd.

http://punbb.org/downloads.php

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

that database so big,so the DB management by Connorhd. can t do that...
(beyond 2M and every host 's php setup maxfile upto database is 2M)

I just exported a 125 meg database using mysql's mysqladmin.  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html  but if your host is anything like normal hosts they're not going to restrict connections to their servers only.  if 2 meg is a php setting than nobody is going to be able to export / import your database regardless of who they are or if they normally would be able to do that.

export the database in smaller segments.

so i need the mutiple files bak tool. that split the mysql bak file to files about 1M ... and if you got 20M then it will be 20 .sql files for downloading ..

How big is your db if you dont backup

punbb_search_matches
punbb_search_words

10 (edited by Jérémie 2006-07-09 15:13)

fdsa2 wrote:

so i need the mutiple files bak tool. that split the mysql bak file to files about 1M ... and if you got 20M then it will be 20 .sql files for downloading ..

So write it, or pay someone to write it.

Or more clever, find a decent host.

This has nothing to do with PunBB.

thanks 4 your reply,but i know some programme have this function,
and i have no money for that,so as to a dedicated server...

I pay around $3 a month for a good small shared hosting, with ssh access. And with ssh, you can do pretty much anything you need and you pay for.