Topic: Akismet spam protection for PunBB

This mod will add Akismet spam protection to your forum. If Akismet decides that  an entry is a spam, the mod will block the entry and ban the user (both name and  IP). The administrator can, using the included plugin, recover an entry from  spam, and at the same time un-ban the user.

You'll find it at the PunBB Resource web (if you find any bugs, please post them there).

Re: Akismet spam protection for PunBB

Sounds good. Is there an option to turn the auto banning off. I'm wondering what would happen if a legitimate member posted something wrongly identified as spam.

Paul wrote:

Is there an option to turn the auto banning off. I'm wondering what would happen if a legitimate member posted something wrongly identified as spam.

No there's no option to turn it off, but if you "un-spam" a spam using the included plugin, the user will be un-banned.

What kind of message (if any) does the mod give the user after their post has been identified as spam?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

What kind of message (if any) does the mod give the user after their post has been identified as spam?

The message is: Aksimet has deceided that this is a spam

Very nice. This should make a nice extension when the time comes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Very nice. This should make a nice extension when the time comes.

Just point me in the right direction, and I'll write the extention

btw, I'm gonna "steal" your punch line .. "programming is like sex ..." smile

PS,

I'm running your mod on PunBB 1.2.14, it's catching posts just fine, I'm loving the convenience since it appears that spammers wait till I go to bed to unleash their bots.

I have one problem, when I click the Not Spam button on a flagged post, it will return the post to the board but I get an error that it can't unban the user.

Thanks.

Does this thing work with PunBB 1.2.15 ?

It sounds really useful - I use akismet on my Wordpress account and like it. smile

gavjof wrote:

Does this thing work with PunBB 1.2.15 ?

It sounds really useful - I use akismet on my Wordpress account and like it. smile

it should, just change the version array in install_akismet.php from:

// Versions of PunBB this mod was created for. Minor variations (i.e. 1.2.4 vs 1.2.5) will be allowed, but a warning will be displayed.
$punbb_versions    = array('1.2', '1.2.12');

to:

// Versions of PunBB this mod was created for. Minor variations (i.e. 1.2.4 vs 1.2.5) will be allowed, but a warning will be displayed.
$punbb_versions    = array('1.2', '1.2.12', '1.2.15');
~James
FluxBB - Less is more

This plugin is badly in need of an update, it's become an invaluable part of my installs.

Smartys fixed an issue in the thread at Punres, which I've done on my installs. I also came across the slow down problem and updated the PHP5 Akismet class to 0.4 from 0.2 (ships with the plugin).

http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=1850&p=4

Bots are targeting PunBB like there's no tomorrow. They first read your user list, then come up with some random user, they acknowledge the rules screen and obviously confirm the registration email that's sent out. It's become very sophisticated and these f*cking bots are eating up tremendous amounts of bandwidth.

A 1.3 update?

Garciat wrote:

A 1.3 update?

An update for 1.2, an extension for 1.3 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Seems like the original author of the 1.2 plugin has not been around to address bugs and updates. So someone has to pick up where he left off.

hcgtv wrote:

...an extension for 1.3 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Just made it... please test it smile http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … rotection/.

I found the announcement on this forum fitting:

http://demo.forum-software.org/punbb/