1 (edited by nickfzx 2006-08-31 01:16)

Topic: moving my database to a new server created strange characters

http://www.amateurillustrator.com/

So I am in the process of moving my whole site to a new server?I am doing a test move to check everything is working first

When I first went to import my database using PHPMYADMIN I got a bunch of errors.

Well I called my host-to-be and asked what the problem was they said to delete this line:
DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

?from everywhere in the .sql file I was trying to import?lo and behold it worked fine, without a glitch....tech support do help me sometimes smile

Except?

Now in the forums where people have used an odd character?although I think it is mostly when users have first written out a post in word and then copied and pasted it into the forum?.they get a little bit of garbage in this form:  â??

Here is an example on the server I am moving to:

http://64.202.179.46/forums/viewtopic.php?id=56
this is the original on my current server:
http://www.amateurillustrator.com/forum … .php?id=56

you will notice throughout the post that there is crap like this?well this is also happening in wordpress:
http://64.202.179.46/articles/?p=23

It is clear that removing that line about latin1 from the sql file has caused this because it was to do with character sets latin1 and the like and all that.

Is there any way to fix this without having to go form post to post editing everyones post.

I think the reason I had to delete the line is because my host-to-be has a slightly older or differently configured version of MYSQL that diddn?t support importing these lines:
DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

Any help would be really really helpful.

Has this happened to anyone else?how did you deal with it?

Thanks

nick

Punbb w/coppermine and wordpress integrated

see my hack to integrate punbb with wordpress comment system.
Illustration Community

Re: moving my database to a new server created strange characters

hey sorry for this but the links above will not work for a bit as I have delted everything off the server we are moving too...I am re-uploading everything as well.

But I'm sure you don't need to see to get the general idea.

Any help would be great on this...what should I do??

Illustration Community

links should work again now...still same trouble

it think I could go through and correct everything manually...but this may take time

any thoughts...??

Illustration Community

I can see the cause
Try viewing your old forums with a charset of ISO-8859-1. It looks the same as your forums now.
Either the dump got converted somewhere along the way or your version of MySQL doesn't support UTF-8 properly. In either case, I'd talk to your host

hmm with me if i view it with ISO-8859-1 it looks even slightly more messed up

i'll call my host again but I'm not sure they'll help...it's shared hosting you see so I doubt they'll upgrade mysql just for me

Illustration Community

sorry about my previous post...yes you are exactly right it seems to have converted my site to IOS-8859-1  and all the little bits of garbage are due to this....hmmm...so I'll call my host and repost here after.

Cheers

Nick

Illustration Community

well the problem is that my new host use mysql 4.0 and the old one uses mysql 4.1...I checked on the mysql website and the charactersets got a big overhaul in 4.1 and therefor my comes out a bit garbled.  It is not really meant for people to go form 4.1 to 4.0.

I think I may have to go through and change things manually....any suggestions?

cheers

nick

Illustration Community

Hi, you emailed me re your problem. I had a similar issue when I moved server. My old server had older PHP and MySQL versions. The major problem was not the dumping of the database, the issue eventually was that the new server had UTF-8 as the default in the php.ini.

I changed the php.ini (we have our own php.ini on the new host - TextDrive) from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 (or Latin1, can't remember right now) and everything was fine.

My issue affected a punBB forum and a PhotoPost installation. A textpattern install was not affected by the default charset.

Hope this helps you.
Jonathan

I may just move to a different host...one with mysql 4.1

thanks for the help understanding this.

Illustration Community