Topic: Metas

I already request that and this is not preview in the next versions of PunBB, that's why a made this...
All punBB pages are ignored in Google, that's a problème... smile

Re: Metas

That's actually a Google bug I believe, that isn't how PunBB has been listed in the past wink
Not to mention that 1.3 will have SEF friendly URLs tongue

Edit: phpBB appears to have the same issue, so I'll go with "Google messed something up" tongue

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3074324.htm
Some of the people seem to have the same issue of site: not working for them smile

Smartys wrote:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3074324.htm
Some of the people seem to have the same issue of site: not working for them smile

No subscription. sad

Can you please copy/paste a few relevant snippets?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Forgot about that tongue
Well, the general topic is site: returning "wrong" results: results for pages that are on different domains
But some quotes:

Right now I'm getting only three pages listed for a lot of domains (like webmasterworld) using a
site:example.com

Then supplementals listed after the three pages. Domains without supplementals only show three pages.

ok, now no pages showing in site: though apge ranks remains the same

...and site:punbb.org is now returning more results (yes, they seem crappy atm tongue)
It seems to randomly be switching between the crappy results and the 1 result

And another topic more devoted to the issue:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3089456.htm

I'm showing that site: command is only showing supplimental results for most all websites, not just mine. Also, showing huge numbers and only a few results. Looks like another G error.
I wouldn't worry about site: results till they resolve the issue.

Wow, you know things are screwed up when you see this:

"Web Results 1 - 1 of about 3,840 from www.ebay.com"
Then only shows the homepage.

After hitting the "repeat the search with the omitted results included" bar, its shows all supplimental except the homepage.

I wish I did. This seems to be a spreading phenomenon, but at the same time other sites that were way under-reported in the site: search now seem to show a reasonable number of urls.

The only observation I have to offer is that just because a whole bunch of urls vanished from the site: results doesn't seem to keep those urls out of regular search results, at least in the cases I have seen so far. Maybe it's just a temporary result of some data shuffling? We can hope!

Smartys wrote:

That's actually a Google bug I believe, that isn't how PunBB has been listed in the past wink

I don't think so...
I'm actually trying meta on my website...
I'll give you more informations in 1/2 months...

It would be interesting to include dynamics metas in the next Punbb I think...
Well, wait & see... smile

I know it is a Google bug because I've seen how PunBB is listed in the past tongue
Unless you think returning two results for Ebay is normal? tongue

I understood that Google doesn't use meta keywords which means they are a complete waste of time.

The meta description I think has a use in that it can be used to provide a description on the search results page instead of a piece of text from the page which matches the search. Apart from that it doesn't have any real impact.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:ebay.com

PunBB.org Forums / php help IFrames
PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index
forums.punbb.org/viewtopic.php?pid=43423 - 9k - Supplemental Result -

Want to tell me nothing is wrong with THAT? tongue

And the CORRECT link for the eBay example is
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.ebay.com
The post does say www.ebay.com, not ebay.com wink

Smartys wrote:

And the CORRECT link for the eBay example is
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.ebay.com
The post does say www.ebay.com, not ebay.com wink

No, everyone use eBay.com, they haven't referenced the domain with the www...
It's OK for eBay...

Well, read again my first post, my test is working, GoogleBot is now indexing all my pages & don't ignore them...
It's a great victory for me! smile

For those who speak French, they've made something really interesting here...

I hope you understood me... neutral

14 (edited by docteur_marc_fr 2006-10-13 10:14)

See correct referencement after a little modification  ( dynamic meta tag)
(sorry for mi french accent )

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q … &meta=

msn live:   ( dynamic meta description with name of topic +  first 300 caractere  of current topic  in grey is first word of header page )

Le Forum de DocteurMarc / message floppy disk fail (40)
Sujet:message floppy disk fail (40)./..bonjour,je n'arrive pas à lancer mon ordinateur,
ce message ...
Le vrai danger, ce n'est pas quand les ordinateurs penseront comme les hommes, c'est quand les ...
www.docteurmarc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=161&action=new · 10/10/2006

or google : ( dynamic  meta description   with name of topic +  first 300 caractere of current topic )

Sujet:message floppy disk fail (40)./..bonjour,je n'arrive pas à lancer mon ordinateur,
ce message s'inscrit au démarrage floppy disk(s) fail (40)demande à ...

www.docteurmarc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=727 - 15k - En cache - Pages similaires

SEE  before mi modification  :-(

Le Forum de DocteurMarc.... Accueil; Forums; Téléchargements; FAQ;
Liste des membres; Recherche; Inscription; S'identifier ...

www.docteurmarc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=727 - 15k - En cache - Pages similaire

punbb.org google 

before :

PunBB.org Forums / odd bug - [ Traduire cette page ]
PunBB.org Forums. Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself.
PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ...

forums.punbb.org/viewtopic.php?pid=19680 - 8k - Résultat complémentaire - En cache - Pages similaires

AFTER meta tag dynamic simulation:

PunBB.org Forums / odd bug - [ Traduire cette page ]
Subject: odd bug ./.. ok this is really odd the ordered by list on this site (and not on other punbb sites as far as i know)
sometimes just appears as a u not username...

forums.punbb.org/viewtopic.php?pid=19680 - 8k - Résultat complémentaire - En cache - Pages similaires

I just reread the topics and looked at new posts in them: the site: command is still considered broken, sorry wink

16 (edited by docteur_marc_fr 2006-10-13 10:52)

dur de se faire comprendre ...

is not a site: probleme .

each of the forum  page does not have good meta tag description . Because google or live.com and Yahoo motor
see for index

1° <title> $page_title (for punbb )</tilte>  --->>>  PunBB.org Forums / php help IFrames
2° meta tag description  (if  not exist capture first visible word) PunBB.org Forums. ......... you have to see it for yourself. PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ...
3° url (for snippet ) forums.punbb.org/viewtopic.php?pid=43423

is  dont view  meta tag description  google capture  first visible word for snippet

on PUNBB  first visible word is  $page_title of forum and  index "Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself.
PunBB.org; Index; User list; Rules; Search; Register ... "

if for google the page have same description of  other page , for google the page is a duplicate page

Actually, I'm afraid YOU don't understand tongue

I'll grab some new quotes from the topic for you wink

Yes, something is broken, and this has been going on for a couple of days:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3107196.htm

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/31 … msg3107412

with the first isolated hints of problems to come, posted more than two weeks ago now...

i notice that when looking at sites using the site: command it lists shead loads of supplemental pages after the first few - im seeing this on a lot of sites (a number of authority ones)

It looks like they do have a serious problem with this new infastructure because it isnt working correctly. Google is in a mess currently imo.

Whilst they like to give the impression that they are in a mess when they arnt to confuse webmasters i genuinely think that this time they do have problems.

When basic functionality isnt working correctly, sites are missing, page rank updates dont perform as they should, something is seriously not right

>> "supplemental" ... "except the home page and a couple of others" <<

The site command is BROKEN on multiple Google datacentres.

Every site is showing that same effect on those datacentres... and one of those is my default Google (in UK) for the last 18 hours or more.

Taking a look at various sites, it looks like Google IS using the meta description tag again, oddly enough hmm
However, that doesn't mean their intent is to penalize sites that don't use a tag that Google hasn't required, let alone used, for years

18 (edited by docteur_marc_fr 2006-10-13 13:26)

ok ... i have only  2 post on this forum  for you i am a neewbie

ok i wait site: repair function

at this time after mi modification i have  more 20%  of visitor in 10 days .  (curious no ?)

i just want share mi experience ..

ok i have only 2 post for you, i dont have experience .. ok  ok ...

for info :  site:  on live.com and yahoo  is broken ? is very curious !! ;-)

It has nothing to do with you being a newbie. wink
It has everything to do with Google having an unexplained change in behavior (apparently requiring the meta description tag). Meta description tags have never been necessary for Google to index things properly and there's no reason for them to be (after all, that would lead to a lot of sites getting deindexed and thus less accurate search results).

And as for Yahoo:
http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/se … Fpunbb.org
Looks fine to me

20 (edited by docteur_marc_fr 2006-10-13 17:30)

site explorer is a beta version i dont work with a beta version
It is problable that the next version of siteexplorer is different
Siteexplorer is small part of the future public yahoo shearch

and ,It is the visitor to decides to click  , not google , not pagerank .  If the link as no or bad description , the visitor dont click on the link.

elementaire mon chere watson !!!

site explorer is a beta version i dont work with a beta version
It is problable that the next version of siteexplorer is different
Siteexplorer is small part of the future public yahoo shearch

I'm missing something, Site Explorer was what I was directed to when I did a site: query. What are you talking about?

and ,It is the visitor to decides to click  , not google , not pagerank .  If the link as no or bad description , the visitor dont click on the link.

http://www.google.com/search?q=punbb+1.2.13
http://www.google.com/search?q=punbb+1.2.12
Google comes up with its own meta descriptions reasonably well wink
The issue only affects site: queries, as I said

22 (edited by Audiofeeline 2006-10-27 08:18)

docteur_marc_fr wrote:

elementaire mon chere watson !!!

N'insiste pas pas... Franchement...
Développe pour toi et puis c'est tout... smile
D'ailleurs va falloir mettre les mains dans le cambouis pour la 1.3...