Topic: database troubles!!! v.backup

okay so i was messing with my forum and host and so i made a database backup of my forum. now how exactly do i put it back up? should i go through phpmyadmin or this backup thing i have on my hosting cpanel? i dont get how i reinstall the forum and then import the database. if the backup is corrupt is there someway to salvage the posts table and the users table from it? HELP! smile

Re: database troubles!!! v.backup

Import the backup via phpMyAdmin or using the Database Administration plugin. You'll then have to manually generate a valid config.php file (assuming you don't have a backup of the old one).
And if it's corrupted, you may/may not be able to fix the errors.

so it says unable to fetch user information. is there anyway i can preserve the posts or something? am i screwed? can i just switch out the users table?

That's after importing?
Enable debug mode, post the full error

how do i do that? i can't view the site. all i can see is the error. do you mean in phpmyadmin??

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to fetch user information.

is all i can see.

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2658

7 (edited by kiz 2006-10-06 22:42)

An error was encountered
File: /home/thessc/public_html/include/functions.php
Line: 45

PunBB reported: Unable to fetch user information

Database reported: Table 'thessc_databasesqlkey.users' doesn't exist (Errno: 1146)

so is there someway i can jut add that one table or save my posts?

I really strongly Suggested Use PhpMyAdmin to back up.
when your back up zip file beyond 2M,then restore it via the help of webmaster(hostmaster)

i did use phpmyadmin but i didnt  zip it. it's like 46 megs sad. so i should contact my host to get help?

kiz wrote:

i did use phpmyadmin but i didnt  zip it. it's like 46 megs sad. so i should contact my host to get help?

yes,if you have not permission of webhost's mysql dump command like that,you should let your host webmaster to import the database for you.

it's the best way i think ,4 me.

if you zip it,may be there will be 10Megs i think but both beyond 2M

11 (edited by twohawks 2006-10-08 16:23)

If you have cpanel (or similar) for your site, you not only have phpmyadmin, but also, onthe main page, look for "backup"... it will allow you to perform an ftp-style (non-http, so not limited in size) zipped up download (and upload) of your databases ;^)

Also, for large files, when I wish to deal with only a table, I use phpmy admin to download the table, I edit directly the way I want, and when I am read to upload I delete the table online via phpadmin and then upload the new/edited table.  (I haven't taken time to figured out how to do it without having to delete the existing online table, but I bet its possible).

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
h2h

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool