Topic: Modded punBB available that removes JS and cookie dependency?

Afaics punBB relies on both JS and cookies being enabled, either is unacceptable to me.

Has anyone created a modified version that removes this dependency?

Re: Modded punBB available that removes JS and cookie dependency?

PunBB doesn't 'rely' on JS, it's merely a small script that validates the form.

Now for the cookies... I suppose PunBB *could* be modified to use sessions (which would still require a cookie). But I don't see why this is a problem really.

As elbekko said, PunBB doesn't rely on Javascript. It will work 100% perfectly with Javascript turned off.
And there isn't a way to get around the use of cookies (since session cookies are still cookies) without doing something like putting the session ID in the URL.
Out of curiosity, why is it unacceptable?

Also, the "Go back" links in messages etc. rely on JS, but they are removed in 1.3.

Jansson wrote:

Also, the "Go back" links in messages etc. rely on JS, but they are removed in 1.3.

But the Back button in the browser works fine smile

Smartys wrote:

And there isn't a way to get around the use of cookies (since session cookies are still cookies) without doing something like putting the session ID in the URL.
Out of curiosity, why is it unacceptable?

a) Not relying on optional components being enabled on the user system is a fundamental rule of web authoring.
b) A not unsignificant number of users will have JS and/or cookies disabled, or have it disabled for them with no option for the user to turn it on. Currently PunBB fails silently if cookies are not enabled on the client system.

PunBB doesn't rely on the Javascript wink
And as for the cookies, unless you use HTTP Authentication (which looks pretty ugly) I don't think there's a way around disabling cookies. You could certainly try modding PunBB to use HTTP Auth though.

Personally, I think the number of users with cookies disabled is pretty small (but I don't have any statistics to back up my thought). And if you think PunBB should have some sort of cookie check, suggest it in Feature Requests.

One of my members has cookies completely disabled at work but would still like to post from there.  That's my only no cookies member though.

I have no idea how much work it would be, but I would love a mod that allows guest/logged out users to enter a username and password when posting.  It doesn't seem like something that should be in the default installation though.

Why anyone would disable cookies completely is beyond me. You disable cookies and then you enable them for the sites that require it. That's how I have my system setup (using the excellent "Permit Cookies" extension for Firefox).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I do likewise, but I've yet to convince her to.

universtities and other public places often have cookie's disabled on computers.

At my uni i tried loggin in and wondered why it wasn't working...luckily they hadn't locked the browsers control panel so i just turned cookies back on.

Punbb w/coppermine and wordpress integrated

see my hack to integrate punbb with wordpress comment system.
Illustration Community

nickfzx wrote:

universtities and other public places often have cookie's disabled on computers.

At my uni i tried loggin in and wondered why it wasn't working...luckily they hadn't locked the browsers control panel so i just turned cookies back on.

I'd like to have a word with that system administrator smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

nickfzx wrote:

Really? I've never had that experience: I must have gotten lucky smile

At the end of the day, PunBB doesn't require JS and there will almost certainly be an extension to allow for other login options such as session IDs in the URL.