Topic: Search engine friendly ?

I am fresh punbb user and hence the question smile how punbb stands as far as search engines are concerned?

Re: Search engine friendly ?

Search engines spider my forums just fine, no problems to report.

In PunBB 1.3 we'll have a nicer looking URL scheme to use.

And there's a great yet simple sitemap for PunBB tool to improve things again, if needed be.

punbb is very search engine friendly ! It gets spidered and is even ranking higher than blog with friendly urls ( I tested this myself ) Friendly urls are last thing you need in terms of seo wink

5 (edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky 2006-11-20 20:42)

Jérémie wrote:

And there's a great yet simple sitemap for PunBB tool to improve things again, if needed be.

Yes indeed... the simplest sitemap plugin you could possibly imagine. Just upload sitemap.php to your forum directory and that's it smile Simple, yet great plugin! (And it works too...)

Yet Another Happy PunBB Admin!

http://driverpacks.net/

I'm glad to hear such postive feedback smile

Compared to other sitemap generator I had to use (from Mediawiki to Textpattern... well, kinda for the later), yours is by far (and I mean FAR) the simplest and quickest to install, and yet the easiest to tweak and it gets the job done perfectly.

Ok, so where is that sitemap?

SEO is a lot more than being indexed by google. google still indexes these urls but they dont get to the top pages as easy as the blabla/subjec-54.htm ones at all. Also, having non search engine friendly urls makes them showing only once on google. The google result pages shows at the most one of these urls, the rest are included in the "very similar" ones.

I thought about writing a little script that would use mod_rewrite and woulbe be an alternative navigation that would target the forum thread pages. A bit like bvulletin or invision archives but targeting actual forum pages.
But, as there is already working solutions i would like to use them instead, yes, i am a extremly lazy guy.

So... where is that module? what about the google sitemap one?
I've been searching for a while without success.

Just search sitemap on PunRes and you'll find my mod
http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=90

And as for mod_rewrite being wonderful SEO-wise, I happen to disagree tongue
Not that SEF URLS aren't nice, but they don't give as huge a benefit as you claim
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/show … hp?t=20404

And as for mod_rewrite being wonderful SEO-wise, I happen to disagree

errmmm... and I disagree with your 'disagreement'

7 years of doing SEO for clients and my own network of sites - some in highly competitive areas - and LOADS of detailed testing - leaves absolutely no doubt, SEO-friendly urls help a lot.

pedrotuga is completely right - it is not so much to help with spidering, (although it does), but more importantly it DOES make a difference in SE ranking.

I have mod_rewritten plenty of client sites that had urls as relatively simple as PunBB, and the difference in SEO ranking was noticeable - more pages spidered and bettter ranking.

Of course, there are site that rank well that don't have SEO-friendly urls, but that doesn't prove anything really - you need to take a before and after view of a mod-rewrite exercise to notice the value.

Ok... i convinced myself ( whatda...lol ) with the help of winkywonkywoo.

I will write an html sitemap for version 1.2. Later, if needed, the necessary changes shouldn ot be that many.

I will have a look on the database class, this time i make it 100 compatible with all punbb 1.2 intalations