Topic: Maintaining two branches - a stable version, and a dev version

Hi, this message is particularly intended to Rickard, but everybody is free to give his opinion smile

I find it a bit sad that all the efforts are going into the development version, and nearly noone to the current stable version. When reporting bugs, answers often are "fixed in CVS" or "will be fixed in 1.3"...

There are bugs in 1.2 that will never get fixed in 1.2 (just let give two examples: people being more than one time in the online user list, their message being displayed n times - and the "group by" tweak in the search - there may be other examples). These bugs are fixed in 1.3, which is new version with a lot of new features, and which will certainly involve a lot of other new bugs... This all results in the fact that there is no _really_ stable and bug-free version of punbb.

I think it would be really nice, and not require much work, to really maintain these 2 branches, and really backports bugfixes in the 1.2 version, and not only security fixes.

Would that be an option?

Re: Maintaining two branches - a stable version, and a dev version

I'm hoping this will happen at least for security issues as I am in the process of developing an online game using PunBB 1.2.x as a base.  Since I have already modified a lot of files and even rewrote some although the game is no where near complete it will be a pain to port all the changes over to PunBB 1.3.

Christopher Clarke

Blog / dA / MySpace / Facebook / GAIA

Twisted Legacy  - great community

Yann wrote:

I think it would be really nice, and not require much work, to really maintain these 2 branches

PunBB is under GNU Public Licence, so if it's that easy maybe you could do it ?

Nobody has abandoned 1.2: just because there has not been a new release since October does not mean there won't be in the future. However, if we released a new version every time we found a bug, we'd be up to 1.2.954 by now (and we could hardly call it stable). wink

Yann,

PunBB 1.2.14 was released well after work on 1.3 was started. So I don't think the 1.2 branch has been abandoned like you say.

All new features will be implemented in 1.3. Serious and semi-serious bugs (this includes security problems) will be fixed in 1.2. Obviously, we can't release a new 1.2 version whenever we fix some minor problem in 1.3. Some of them require big re-writes which is the reason they're in 1.3 in the first place. When we have enough annoyances in 1.2 that we believe it warrants a new release, we will release it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Jeremie > sometimes it's just 2/3 lines... I could do it but then it would be a fork hmm
Rickard > some kind of "service pack" eh? tongue

By the way I'm happy to hear that semi-serious bugs will be fixed in 1.2 wink
Many thanks for punbb, you're doing great smile