Topic: Good hosting?

I'm looking for some good hosting. I tried hostgator but you need to call them up to verify and setup your account. Anyone know of any hosting that doesn't do this?

Re: Good hosting?

Ok, got hostmonster. So I need to do some stuff with the dns I hear. Where is the dns???

DNS stands for Domain name system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS

You use it to join your domain name with your hosting account. Your hosting provider will provide two name servers (ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com or something like that - changes for each host) that you need to enter (their will be a form in the control  panel) somewhere at the website of the company you brought it from. Once that is done, log in to your Host monster account and look for a place in your Control Panel that says something along the lines of domain. Their should be a form where you can enter the domain name you just entered the name servers for.

Christopher Clarke

Blog / dA / MySpace / Facebook / GAIA

Twisted Legacy  - great community

I'm quite happy with OVH.

Search inn google smile

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

he couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag, suggesting he search something as complex as google is an impossibility for that guy.

avoid yahoo webhosting unless your going really basic

search http://webhostingtalk.com for "good" hosts.
spend a few minutes there and it can answer all you questions. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Like the Dr. said, do your research.

What's a good host today, can become a really bad host 6 months from now. Popularity has a way of making money hungry individuals oversell their hardware.

Personally, I'd go with a small outfit that has no intentions of growing.

i went with a host about 4 weeks ago, and now it is closing down, it was cheap and easy to pay with so i went with it.
so you want hosts that have been around for a while, like textdrive is a good example.

actually i have my own hosting company.... DR Jeckyl got two accounts with me.. and several other rc and car clubs also.. there not bad and cheap for a reseller account.. there on a share cluster system. so if a system dies u never lose ur stuff... but i only host for a few friends and my personal 1000 sites..lol.

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Textdrive is quite young, and it's facing (badly, but that's another topic) the same issues every other host has to deal with when they grow.

I'll go with the old ones, with a lot of customers but still with some direct contact. Once you have tens of thousands of websites hosted, most of the issues are behind you.

Hence my personal choice of OVH (for western European hosting).

A good hosting prove itself on the long run. Going for the cheap, attractive, young one, mean 99% of the time you will be hosted on a single server, in a basement, with a 20 years old student doing bad part time admin on the side. No thanks.

quaker wrote:

actually i have my own hosting company.... DR Jeckyl got two accounts with me.. and several other rc and car clubs also.. there not bad and cheap for a reseller account.. there on a share cluster system. so if a system dies u never lose ur stuff... but i only host for a few friends and my personal 1000 sites..lol.

thank you again. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

yo Dr J.. so everything working good with the hosting?
anyone need a punbb hosting site give me a shout......

3 years ago 1and1 handed out 3 years free preview for their services (with no strings attached).  I signed up for 2 of those and eventually ended up staying with them.  I haven't had too many problems with them either.  250 gig disk space, and 2.5 terrabytes monthly transfer for 10 bucks a month ain't to shabby.

well, i'm currently using bluehost as my hosting service smile i have been with them for more than half a year and i can say that everything has run rather smoothly and seems great smile in the duration of my hosting i'm pretty sure that they have only had 1 downtime or so......

check it out for yourself: http://www.bluehost.com

my previous host was sitegrounds.....they were amazing

http://www.sitegrounds.com

I am at www.realvaluehosting.com and this is my third year with them, that have good support.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

If you want rock solid UNIX hosting, you probably can't beat pair Networks. They've been around forever and they're always on top in Netcraft's hosting reliability statistics.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

something that noone has mentioned most reliable hosts have is a forum. if they give the option for their customers and potential customers to give feedback then that should say something about them as a company as a whole. they aren't trying to hide behind a support desk or email address.

just my opinion really.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

yo dr j you want to team up for some hosting?

quaker wrote:

yo dr j you want to team up for some hosting?

i may. catch me on aim/msn and we'll talk. i have some possible leads for "customers".

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

aim me... lol. im on where are you?

I am using 1and1 for the past 2 years, now i personally suggest 1and1 is the best as i know. service+price both are good! hope you too ll get benefited with this..

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

i will never buy from 1and1... they clutter my gaming magazines with 10 page ads. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

i will never buy from 1and1... they clutter my gaming magazines with 10 page ads. big_smile

i didnt get you Dr. how can they put their add in our pages... without permission...

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily