Topic: 1.3 multi-lingual ?

A small question. Is the 1.3 release is planned to support multi-lingual boards (localized registration, board messages and text, and so on).

I can't remember if that was already said somewhere, or not.

Re: 1.3 multi-lingual ?

Sure, every user can choose his own language from the profile, the admin control panel is also localized in 1.3.

That's quite nice.

Note to self: check language selection at registration, and localized tos.

The language support is no different than it is in 1.2, unless I'm missing something (with the exception of the admin interface, which can now be translated)

guys, i wanna know if PUnBB can be used in a different language....???

Yes, PunBB currently supports multiple languages (or using a language other than English) everywhere except the admin interface

7 (edited by Jérémie 2007-01-21 02:48)

Smartys wrote:

Yes, PunBB currently supports multiple languages (or using a language other than English) everywhere except the admin interface

That has some impact on the front-end too. The biggest issue I think is the lack of localized forum rules (because some need this to limit their liability as forum host/admin).  On the same thing, but less critical, are the others front-end messages set in the backend (announcement, forum tagline, group name/title, even forum name on some cases) that could use i18n capability.

How are you going to offer multi-language support for items which are set by a board admin and are unique to a particular board? It would mean a board admin would have to create board specific language files for each language supported which of course would require the admin to be fluent in all of the supported languages particularly if writing rules which have legal implications.

Yup absolutely. Well, not fluent by himself, he can get advices from other people, other websites, the legal dpt. of the company he works for, etc. That's just a translation work, on something not very large.

Let me rephrase that. It's like what we have right now...PunBB can be translated into, I don't know, Euskal Herria for example. But nobody has. So if I need it, I will do it myself, or get someone to do it. The only difference between admin-frontend "fields" and the lang pack is that these fields are different on each forum install.

Well they are also different in that they are stored in the database not in the language files. The only way of transferring them would be to have default values for each item, including rules, in an additional language file. The trouble with that is it doesn't sit very well with novice users who are quite happy entering values on a form but wouldn't be too happy about having to edit langauge files assuming they even have access to the language files.

The only way around that is to allow people to have a custom lanaguage file for the values you mentioned called e.g. "mystuff" and then if $lang_mystuff was found to exist it would be used otherwise the values in the database would be used. That way advanced users with multilinqual forums could create their own custom language files and everyone else would do what they do now.