Topic: Posts orderd by date posted

Hey,

I would like to set up my forums so that when someone clicks on a thread, all of the posts are in the order of newest to oldest. I've done some searching but haven't been able to find any results. Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks for this wonderful software.

-i2yan

Re: Posts orderd by date posted

That's a one line edit in viewtopic.php (change asc to desc in the order by clause), assuming that's a setting you want for your whole forum

thanks for the response, but can you please be a bit more specific? i found a plugin to give users the option of choosing whether or not they want to view in the order of newest to oldest, but i'd like to make it the forum default like you mentioned.

viewtopic.php

FIND

$result = $db->query('SELECT u.email, u.title, u.url, u.location, u.use_avatar, u.signature, u.email_setting, u.num_posts, u.registered, u.admin_note, p.id, p.poster AS username, p.poster_id, p.poster_ip, p.poster_email, p.message, p.hide_smilies, p.posted, p.edited, p.edited_by, g.g_id, g.g_user_title, o.user_id AS is_online FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts AS p INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'users AS u ON u.id=p.poster_id INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'groups AS g ON g.g_id=u.group_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'online AS o ON (o.user_id=u.id AND o.user_id!=1 AND o.idle=0) WHERE p.topic_id='.$id.' ORDER BY p.id LIMIT '.$start_from.','.$pun_user['disp_posts'], true) or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

REPLACE WITH

$result = $db->query('SELECT u.email, u.title, u.url, u.location, u.use_avatar, u.signature, u.email_setting, u.num_posts, u.registered, u.admin_note, p.id, p.poster AS username, p.poster_id, p.poster_ip, p.poster_email, p.message, p.hide_smilies, p.posted, p.edited, p.edited_by, g.g_id, g.g_user_title, o.user_id AS is_online FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts AS p INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'users AS u ON u.id=p.poster_id INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'groups AS g ON g.g_id=u.group_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'online AS o ON (o.user_id=u.id AND o.user_id!=1 AND o.idle=0) WHERE p.topic_id='.$id.' ORDER BY p.id DESC LIMIT '.$start_from.','.$pun_user['disp_posts'], true) or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

That looks like quite a big change, but I just added "DESC" to the end of the order by clause