Topic: Vanilla vs PunBB

Originally I was using punBB then switched to Vanilla; however, with the release of 1.3 (I installed the dev version) I am stuck deciding which to go with. One of the main reasons I went with Vanilla was because of the extension system, but now punBB has it. This is a really hard choice for me to make, and I can't decide alone! sad

Re: Vanilla vs PunBB

I'll help you, now let me see, thinking, wait a minute...

http://nupusi.org/images/punbb_13.jpg

Hm....you bring up a very good point. smile

Oh yeah.. Now I'm gonna chose Pun too!

oh wait roll

Punbb big_smile

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

Asking the same at the vanilla forum will probably give you another answer wink

Anyhow, when I'm going to use something myself, I do listen on other people to get a handfull of different things to test, then I test each of the recommended for the task I'm going to use it for ... and after that I know what I want to use ... (and weight in security etc.)

so, I would say you should test them both, and use the one you feel fills your purpose the best ... as it's no good to later think "why did I listen to that guy" wink

but I guess it's just the engineer in me talking wink  ...

7 (edited by klarth 2007-03-11 21:37)

Thanks. smile I asked the same thing at Vanilla and they told me that punBB is faster but that Vanilla's customizability is better. I have to admit, I do agree since you can do anything with Vanilla. The one thing I like about Vanilla is that you can create themes by making new PHP files and you can make the frontend look like whatever you please. smile All I've seen for punBB though are styles...:(

EDIT: I also hate runescape. smile

You can pretty much change everything with CSS. So that's not an argument IMO.

That's true, but with Vanilla you can change the markup and add any extra things you want in addition to the CSS in theme files. sad

I'm cutting my own throat here but it probably is an argument. For example, if you wanted the forum listing on the index page to be a definition list instead of a table you can't do that with css. It all depends on how much customization you want or need.

The other thing to bear in mind is what you want the forum for. If you want only a few forums and to give it an informal chatty feel then Vanilla does that very well. If however you need something more structured with more categories and forums then you would be better off with PunBB.

klarth wrote:

add any extra things

Hopefully, the extension system will take care of that.

That's some good advice, Paul. Thanks! I know that the extension system will let you add extra things but I meant extra things directly into the front end.

I came upon PunBB almost three years ago, at Version 1.1.5, in June of 2004. I was already familiar with handling my front end content with a CMS, so I wanted to try my hand at a forum.

What PunBB had going for it, and still does, is that it's a very capable forum. Throw at it what you want, it renders your copied text exact and keeps track of who, what, where and when. It was also kind to my server, my first live PunBB install is still running on a Pentium Pro 200mhz. Styling, it never crossed my mind back then, it was about the digitized word.

Today, we'd like to take Pun to a different level, so styling is in vogue. If you've ever styled a front end, either using a freely available template or your own design, you know how hard it is to get the page to adjust to different browsers and font sizes. So moving forward on PunStyle, we have to take into account how well the current XHTML attributes of Oxygen can adjust to anything you throw at it and what container size it may reside in.

http://nupusi.org/images/punbb_brains.jpg

Too often, we pay attention to the looks and miss the brains.

@hcgtv
Nice painting logo man...
Can I have it? How to replace with name "FBI" smile

thanks.

PunBB, Simplicity has been easier than before
Smart is Simple. Fast is Smart. Think Fast, You'll be Smart..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

FBI wrote:

Can I have it? How to replace with name "FBI" smile

You can ask Quaker: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=69238#p69238