Topic: punBB acessibility

Hi,
I am member of a group which has some members with visual impairments and I was given the task to find a bulletin board/forum which is accessible and usable. This is a group who has to work together to produce some important reports and some of the other members are not too web savvy. The need is to find a forum which is online, password controlled, secure and easy to use and accessible. Is that a tall order?

I was told that PunBB is one of the most accessible - I am wondering if someone here could give me some guidance. I have used forums and even been a forum administrator but I am not too familiar about the back end.

thanks, your help would be greatly appreciated,

elle

Re: punBB acessibility

Moved to PunBB Discussion
Paul would be able to say more, but yes, PunBB is very accessible

I hope to hear from Paul then :-) We would be most grateful.

Yup, PunBB is one of the most, if not the most, accessible. He might not be perfect (no software or website is), but knowing your userbase impairments you could easily adjust it for them. Its base is very neat and clean.

1.3 is supposed to have greater accessibility features than current versions.

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

PunBB 1.2, the current version, is probably one of the most accessible forums you'll find. It's far from perfect though. In PunBB 1.3, we've spent a lot of time and effort on improving the accessibility. We've had people from The Guild of Accessible Web Designers help us with testing as well as real-world testing from people with visual impairments (using screen readers). I'm convinced PunBB 1.3 will be the most accessible forum out there.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

:-) that explains something to me. It is actually Jim Bryne who recommended me to come here.

PunBB 1.3 is aiming meet all relevant WCAG "AA" checkpoints.  Improvements of particular interest
- All forms, including the admin interface use standards compliant markup and properly associate labels with with inputs
- All forms are naturally source ordered so tabindex is no longer used and are generally simplified
- Skip navigation links as standard
- Better table markup to make tables easier for screen reader users
- Correct use of active/focus on links to make it easier for keyboard navigators
- Link text improved to avoid links with the same text pointing to different locations e.g. where the menu for a post says "Quote" part of the link is hidden using the accessible "off left" technique. What screen reader users actually hear is "Quote post 6", "Quote post 7" etc.
- Ability to use alt attribute for posted images
- Better, more semantic, markup for post content. In particular, use of paragraphs instead of multiple line breaks.
- There will be some additional stylesheets in the default installation for the visually impaired e.g. large text, high contrast.

Of course, that doesn't help you immediatelly but you can be sure that if you use PunBB 1.2 it will be at least as accessible as any of the alternatives and it will be a painless upgrade to 1.3 which should be a lot better than most of the alternatives.

If in the mean time any of your visually impaired users would like to do some testing on version 1.3 please email me. The more feedback the better. Making something technically accessible is the easy part, making it a pleasure to use for somebody with special requirements is rather more difficult and does need some end user input.

9 (edited by elle 2007-03-14 14:31)

That sounds great. I am playing with the current forum admin- making use of Smartys useful free forum hosting site. I like the idea especially the stylesheets with the possibility of larger text and high contrast for the next upgrade.

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the techie side and do appreciate the help of a forum like this.
I already said I wasnt too much good on the technical side so I hope this does not sound like a stupid question : how can we secure the site from unwanted viewers? I mean I guess we can monitor forum users.

I can ask some of the members in my group if they will do some testing for you.

You can have "public" and "private" forums. If you create a new user group, and call it, say "approved_users". Then you set-up the approved_users group with permissions to view and post to all your private forums, and the regular "user" or "guest" groups with no view permissions. New users would not be able to view any forums, but once you move them to the approved_users group they can.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

Paul wrote:

- Link text improved to avoid links with the same text pointing to different locations e.g. where the menu for a post says "Quote" part of the link is hidden using the accessible "off left" technique. What screen reader users actually hear is "Quote post 6", "Quote post 7" etc.

There are some people who navigate via voice commands, to choose/activate a link they speak it. Unfortunately the technique you have mentioned probably won't help them as the link on the screen is all they have to actually reference the it.

Having said that, having all the extra bits on screen might not be practical for most of the styles. Maybe it would be worth considering having a theme which does list the links in full specifically for this sub set of users? Alternatively, inform people how they can remove the 'off left' style to create their own theme to accomplish this.

Also, if you need more feedback you'll have to send me a link to go and review things, I lost the one that was sent to the GAWDS list.

byUsers forum

Rich: I will get in touch with you once I have my test board re-established.

Good point about the voice commands, I hadn't thought about that one. Fortunately, its only one line of css and all the hidden items are in one block so its easy enough to make stuff visible. This unfortunately is one of those cases where trying to help one set of users is detrimental to another.

My visually impaired colleague found it difficult to register with the image verification. She wonders whether you can have an alternative solution?

Image verification isn't standard on PunBB; it's a mod.

Hi,
Ok, we were trying one out with it. I guess it can be left out. Thanks for letting me know.

elle wrote:

My visually impaired colleague found it difficult to register with the image verification. She wonders whether you can have an alternative solution?

http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=250

Thank you, Liquidator.

Rich Pedley wrote:

There are some people who navigate via voice commands, to choose/activate a link they speak it. Unfortunately the technique you have mentioned probably won't help them as the link on the screen is all they have to actually reference the it.

Even though I don't have any accessibility issues, I'd love to have that. Just lean back in your chair and surf around. Especially useful when your mouse run out of batteries as well tongue

Paul wrote:

Rich: I will get in touch with you once I have my test board re-established.

Now that I am actually punBB on a regular basis I'll have a bit more understanding on things, so that should make assessing things easier.

Good point about the voice commands, I hadn't thought about that one. Fortunately, its only one line of css and all the hidden items are in one block so its easy enough to make stuff visible. This unfortunately is one of those cases where trying to help one set of users is detrimental to another.

Totally agreed, and I'm glad that it is just a small CSS change. So long as that is documented, I'd suggest leaving it for individuals to decide if they want it removed or not.

There will always be cases that can't be covered, they just need to be minimised as much as possible without detrimental affects to others.

byUsers forum